Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Plate Washer Hole Diameter 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Samwise Gamgee

Structural
Oct 7, 2021
US
I have anchor rods that are 3/4" and 1" diameter. If plate washers are being used for base plates, the hole diameters for platers need to be per AISC table 14-2 or Design Guide.

What is the diameter of the hole in the plater washer ? We specify use AISC standard washers, are the hole sizes in them just 1/16 greater than anchor rod diameter ?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I don't know what the AISC recommends, but I would use holes with 1/16" oversize.

Rather than think climate change and the corona virus as science, think of it as the wrath of God. Feel any better?

-Dik

AISC Table 14-2 and AISC DG2 Table 2.3 are basically the same tables. The hole size listed in these tables is the maximum allowable hole size for the anchor to allow acceptable fit-up tolerances. When using an oversized hole in the base plate it is standard practice to use a plate washer with a standard size hole (e.g. 1/16" oversized). The tables list the minimum required plate washer size and thickness to be used for the anchor. If you are not using shear keys and your anchors are designed to transfer shear, then it is standard practice to weld the plate washers to the base plate to ensure immediate anchor to plate bearing to transfer the shear force to the anchors.

A plate washer with 1/16" oversize can be welded to the baseplate to accommodate any slack.

Rather than think climate change and the corona virus as science, think of it as the wrath of God. Feel any better?

-Dik

Thank you so much both of you. I did prescribe that. I also noticed per the new code that the nominal hole size for 1" bolt increased from 1 1/16" to 1 1/8"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back