Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Plates on beams

Status
Not open for further replies.

mobe

Structural
Jul 7, 2002
GB
I am sure someone has done this exercise.
For beams supporting existing cavity walls, say about 5m long for instance - how does a 203UC46 with 290 x 10 plate welded on top compare in price with a 254UC73 plain beam with no plate ? Plate for picking up wall overhang only, not considered for any section property improvement. I wonder if it is cheaper just to up the size if head space available on many domestic projects rather than weld on plates.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Its one of those arguments you’ll never win. The contractor will complain about having to weld the plate just as much as he’ll complain when the clearly oversized beam arrives on site...

I’ve often considered this and generally just go with the plate.

mobe said:
For beams...5m long...
...203UC46 with 290 x 10 plate welded on top...
...254UC73 plain beam with no plate...

Do the math... then make a judgement call based on the results:

203UC46 @ 5 meters = 230 kg
290 x 10 @ 5 meters = 115 kg
Total = 345 kg

254UC73 @ 5 meters = 365 kg

Is the time / labor / equipment (welding) / material (welding supplies) required worth the cost of 20 kg of steel per beam?
I doubt it, especially since the plate will have to be fabricated to its' specified dimensions.

[idea]

Thanks for your replies. Direct costing comes out in favour of the 254 but I have noticed it is always a less preferred option to the plate. I know headroom often dictates but I think MIStructE IRE's comment "he’ll complain when the clearly oversized beam arrives on site..." about sums it up !

mobe said:
Thanks for your replies. Direct costing comes out in favour of the 254 but I have noticed it is always a less preferred option to the plate. I know headroom often dictates but I think MIStructE IRE's comment "he’ll complain when the clearly oversized beam arrives on site..." about sums it up !

Give him the option of using either.

BA

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back