Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

PLCC-CARRIER INTER TRIP

Status
Not open for further replies.

manv

Electrical
Oct 2, 2003
IN
SIR,
My simple question is that wheather it is possible to use OPGL(optical fibre) for PLCC carrier intertrip if it is possible tell some tips pls

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Manv,
I didn't understnad your question fully but from what I know Inter -trip signals can be sent over PLCC and fibre optic (NGC in U.K does that).

But I don't think it is the PLCC signal which is converted to fibre optic but the output from the relays which is sent over the two seperate media.

Intertripping can be carried out over PLC (Power Line Carrier) equipment. That is basically the main function of such equipment. However, PLC as its name suggests makes use of the actual power line, either overhead line or underground cable. Information is in some systems transmitted via the power line using the Single Sideband (SSB) method.

Obviously this method of intertripping rules out the use of fibre optic. However, depending on the regional authority and communications infrastructure available, different methods of intertripping are available, some using fibre optic. These methods include intertripping across voice-frequency networks, digital networks, ISDN lines and of course direct via fibre optics.

The only other comment is that typically for this sort of application, as Aakhrinaam suggests, the interface between the relay issuing the trip command and the PLC equipment could very well be fibre optic - if the PLC equipment has the correct connections.

Intertripping can be carried out over most communications media with the correct choice of equipment. Certainly fibre is possible.

Check the ABB website for FOX telecommunications and teleprotection equipment, also NSD-70D teleprotection equipment.

Siemens also offer similar systems, but I cannot remember what they call it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back