Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Plotting 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Exuma

Mechanical
Feb 4, 2002
BS
Is sending a PLT file to the plotter thru a DOS prompt the only way to plot PLT files? or is there another 3rd party utility?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Dragging and dropping from window to window would be nice...
But I haven't been able to do this.
but if you're realy Gun-Ho about about window capabilties.
You could try this... (alot of prep work but does the trick)
First
create a folder "C:\plot2plotter1"
Second
open notepad and type the following
copy *.plt \\(insert network plotter address here)
Third
Save the file with the BAT extension (For Example, PLOT.BAT)
You can save this file in the same folder.
Fourth
Create a shortcut to your desktop. The sortcut should be to the batch.
Five
Now USING WINDOWS...
Drag & Drop your plotfiles to that specific folder.
AND NOW .. DOUBLE CLICK on the ICON.
SIX
You can make a different folder and a different batch file for each printer/ plotter you have in your company.
then just DRAG, DROP, AND CLICK CLICK...
Otherwise sorry.... if this seems to long to try.
Rich

I have a set up a similar system as described by Rich for myself in our offices and it works fine.

If, however, you want to try something else you could download View Companion ( ). I also have this software installed and it allows you to view, print and convert .plt files to other formats. To be honest I've not used it for printing before as I don't need to because I have the DOS thing set up, but I do use the software for converting .plt's to .dwf's or .pdf's etc ...very handy.

You get the software for free for 30 days or so, then it costs $49 to register if you want to keep using it, which I have of course.

That gives you another option anyway.

Hope that helps

Regards

Marc

I had a customer send me a .PLT file. I had heard of .PLT files, but knew nothing more about them. I searched Autodesk web site for this, but it described a DOS method.
I then searched the internet for .PLT file information. I found
Govert's Tools. I believe that I used the first option that is listed on the web site. (Send plot/printfiles to a plotter/printer).
I hope that this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back