Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

point coordinates to excell 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

movia

Mechanical
Jul 19, 2007
GB
hi all,

We have been modelling pipes using polyline routing through coordinate points and then using this polyline to Rib feature.While drafting we are supposed to supply this point data so it can be fed to cnc machine to get the required pipe. Therefore we need to put the point data in table and the table is insereted to detail drawing of that particular pipe.So, do any of you guys know any work around so that i can get these point coordinate in table format into drawing directly without creating table seperately and inserting in the drawing so that we can reduce the time?

Thanks in advance

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Excel? if you have created the points and use polyline, then make the points visible on the drawing view and multiselect them with ctrl and use point coordinate table, it will give you a table in the view.

Noted that our tubing guys have a macro for that so they even get the bend radius in the table, but that macro is obfuscated so I don't know how they did it.

I agree with Azrael, why do you need to create a script when CATIA can do it directly.

Anyway if you need a script look in the FAQ... you'll find something that extract XYZ of point to a text file.

The Text file can be turned into a CSV file with Excel then imported in a CATDrawing...

Eric N.
indocti discant et ament meminisse periti

hi azreal,

thanks for the reply, could you please elaborate your point a little bit more, probably with an example
thanks in advance

1 - Make the points visible in 3D
2 - Create a drawing view
3 - Check properties of the view so that points are generated
4 - Multiselect the points in that order you want the points to be ordered in the table
5 - Activate point coordinate table feature (hidden with the dimensioning features)
6 - In the new window chose which coordinate system the coordinates should be based on (if multiple axis systems exists)
7 - Place table in view

Note that if you create points on the fly with polyline then the feature carries the points, in that case you need to expand the polyline feature and make those points visible

hi

azreal thanks for the reply,

Can you please tell me how can i make the points visible int the drawing view

hi
sorry azreal
another question, the command is in passive mode how can i make it active
thanks in advance

Check in the view properties, same tab as for the 3D points, view generation mode. To get the 3D points you need "exact view generation" mode and "enable occlusion culling" turned off

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back