Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Point load distribution in retaining wall

Status
Not open for further replies.

Enginerdad

Structural
May 18, 2012
US
Hi everybody,
I am in the process of designing a concrete cantilever retaining wall which will have a vehicle barrier attached to the top of it. I was wondering about the method of distributing that point load (AASHTO 10 kip) over the height of the wall to find the moment-per-foot at the base of the stem. General knowledge says that the stress will distribute at a 45 degree angle in each direction, thus making the distribution width = 2*h. However, I seem to remember seeing something in a code about the distribution width being =h instead of =2h. It may have been in ACI of AASHTO, but I can't see to find it. Does anybody have any insight on this?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

One thing I've never been able to find is where the 10k is at in the code. I know it's not in the LRFD, at least from what I can find. That being said, if you're using the LRFD, then I'd look at chapter 13 since it gives a table of impact load, distribution width, etc and design off that depending on what test level criteria you want to use. In a deck design, the force is distributed out at 30 degrees for impact so that's probably how I would do it. It's all engineering judgement, in my opinion.

Either way, if your wall seems excessive in size then I'd consider using a moment distribution slab and have the rail tied into it. Sometimes I think this is the easiest alternative.

Mappleby - Figure out how the wall is going to fail under an impact loading. If we're talking about overturning, the wall is going to have significant bending and torsional restraint over a significant distance. If deflection is not a concern (its not) then you could conceivably consider even a 60 ft width of wall being activated by an impact load. Verify that local failures will not occur and have it. As always, take a step back and try to imagine ways to fail your system and then run the numbers to isolate that possibility.

As for the 10 kip load, its 6 kips service which is 9.6 kips ultimate. This load occurs at 18" above the road surface and acts on a 12"x12" square (18" barrier is unacceptable, 24" min).

Teguci, the IBC 2009 has added a new increased height of impact load check of 27 inches now. This will control most designs for moments now.

I have designed many retaining walls with considering impact loads, and I have used a 45 degree distribution with acceptable results. As Teguci has mentioned consider what you're designing for. For localized wall bending and shear I would use more conservative distribution widths. However, if you are considering overall wall overturning you could use a larger distribution, because the whole wall will act to resist the overturning, provided you don't have a localized failure first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back