Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

POINT LOADING IN I-DEAS FEA 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

sharpedge

Aerospace
Oct 25, 2006
Hi ya all,
Please I need someone who is familiar with I-DEAS to assist. I am currently using I-DEAS for my composite FEA analysis, but I am having problem with my simulation.

Firstly, I have problem in assigning a point load unto a surface. I tried using the node point loading technique but I-DEAS doesnt seems to recognize the nodes created in the Boundary condition environment.

Secondly,how do I assign my created laminate material to my FEA Model. when I creat the laminates, do I put-away to Directory or to Back-up. Also do I assign the materials in the meshing environment using the mesh method, or using the materials icon. When I use the mesh method, I can't locate the laminate I created, but when I use the Materials Icon, I could find it stored in the MDS database.

I will be very grateful you your candid assistance.

Many thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thanks rb, yeah you right, i ment to say applying a point load on a surface. I tried the node application, but IDEAS ldnt recognize the nodes which i created..

whilst i'm sure that ideas can apply point loads in some manner, if you're applying load to a surface then you're looking for a distributed load or pressure

i-deas defaults to geometry mode if you want to use nodal loads change it to fe mode.

First create separate ply properties then build the laminate. I-deas subsequently creates a material with a default name. That is the material you need to use when you apply the fibre orientation.

Thank you Jelmerra,..sorry 'm abit new to using I-DEAS for composite simulation could you kindly explain how I can move from Geomtry to Fe-mode?. Also after you have created your laminate, do you save it to the Directory or back-up?. Whenever I create my laminates from plies, I normal save to directory which i would imagine is the right place to save it to. But when I try to retrieve the material from the mesh environment, I can't locate the laminate material which i created. But, when i check the material icon, it shows that the material was created and saved to the directory. what could possibly be wrong?,

many thanks.

^M -> Manage -> FE Model SWs -> Geometry only Sw -> Off

I think the directory or back-up option has to do with site specific settings. In the standalone version I used to run I could only specify a name for the laminate.

The problem assigning the material sounds familiar. Are you sure the ply properties are correctly defined? The nu values are important and what is defined as null value.

Jelmer

Thanks Jelmerra, I duly appreciate your assistance. With regards to the ply material definition, I could say that the plies are correctly defined as I-DEAS infor plane section shows that an orthotropic MDS material data has been created and when I look into the Orthotropic section of the FE-Element materials, I could see it stored under it. Similarly when I check the Isotropic section of the FE-Element materials I could find both the Epoxy resin and the fibre which I created stored as Isotropic Materials. I initially expected the composite laminate created to be stored under the Anisotropic section but I guess I-DEAS has a different way of storing laminates unders the laminate material section. What I am abit worried about is when I check the FE-Element materials within the mesh environment, I could only see the Isotropic, Orthotropic and Anisotropic materials listed but not the Laminates.But outside of the mesh environemnt, I could find all of the materials listed with the ones created by me under each material type.

I agree with you that there is no feedback from the gui that the inputted data is correct. I have a sample file for you that you can check. I can no longer check the files because my license lease period has ended and I have no current i-deas projects for the moment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back