Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Poll - Pond Routing Software

Status
Not open for further replies.

sns777

Civil/Environmental
Jul 15, 2003
US
Hello All,

I am a PE in Pennsylvania. Our firm is looking to upgrade our stormwater software, particularly the pond routing program. We currently use Hastead Pondpack, however it is a very old version. I am looking for recommendations on pond routing software. What pond routing software do you use? Any major advantages or disadvantages? What software do you recommend?

Gail

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

dirtrx:
Funny that a reviewer is requiring a software which, according to its own creator, has been obsolete for nearly a decade (Date of Last Program Release: June 1998):

Does this reviewer know that - per USACOE HEC1 User’s Manual - "The model is limited to single event analysis and routing techniques do not account for downstream backwater conditions."

Or that - per USACOE HEC1 User’s Manual - "The current version, 1998, is anticipated to be the final release of HEC-1. Future hydrology model development efforts will be directed towards the successor to HEC-1, the Hydrologic Modeling System (HEC-HMS)."

You might let the reviewer know these very important, although by no means newly discovered, limitations. Perhaps, even if that reviewer chooses not to join the 21st century, he might see fit to not punish other design professionals who do.

Engineering is the practice of the art of science - Steve

Lots of great posts on this forum. We have been using PondPack, but since we are a small firm we have been looking for a less-expensive alternative without losing capability. Also, PondPack seems needlessly complicated. From what I have read here, Hydraflow Hydrographs seems like it may be just what we are looking for. Unfortunately they do not offer any sort of demo! Any more posts on the relative merits of these two software packages would be appreciated.

I don't believe the Corps says that HEC-1 is obsolete, simply that it is no longer under development. It is a very useful tool for many projects and likely will continue to be used for the forseeable future. However, it is unfortunate that a reviewer is unable to review without HEC-1. I would be curious to see if anything in the city ordinance actually specifies that "thou shall use HEC-1 or thou will'st not be issued thine permit..."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back