Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Porosity in Cast Irons 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

v8

Materials
Jul 21, 2008
SE
What are the process parameters which can cause porosity in cast irons ( Grey,CGI,Ductile)? I want to know general trends during casting (excluding mold design,ingate system, chills etc). I am more intrested in

1- Effect of chemical composition of charge, treatment alloys on porosity (macro and micro)?
2- Effect of Temperatures on porosity (?)

It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education.[Albert Einstein]

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I suggest you purchase "Analysis of Casting Defects" and/or
"Casting Defects Handbook" from American Foundry Society (AFS).

Is this more an assignment question? If not I request you to provide more specific details .

Chocolates,men,coffee: are somethings liked better rich!!
(noticed in a coffee shop)

Its just a question :). As i said i want to know general trends. If you want me to tell you the chemistry of the charge, furnace type, tapping temperatures, treatment type, etc then it will definitely become an assignment for me :).

As i said i want to know the trends which cause the porosity in cast irons (Grey,ductile, cgi). for example

1- what is the effect of carbon equivalent on porosity?
2- which type of iron are more vulnerable to porosity between hyper and hypo eutectic irons?

3- What is the effect of Magnesium on porosity ( in case of ductile and cgi )
etc.

It is a miracle that curiosity survives formal education.[Albert Einstein]

CGI,
Appreciate your response. However, the information that you are seeking are mostly available in most of the text books on cast iron metallurgy. Else, if you can find some mentor in your industry,it is good.

There are a number of variables affecting the incidence of porosities in cast iron.Also grey iron and ductile iron do not have similarities and ductile iron is more prone to shrinkage defects.

Other than carbon equivalent, charge used, type of melting, post inoculation methods, mold variety,section thickness of casting all affect soundness of castings.

Hence if you have a particular case,which is causing problems,please submit more details and I am sure you will get useful responses from our ever helpful members.

Chocolates,men,coffee: are somethings liked better rich!!
(noticed in a coffee shop)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back