Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

porous ceramic

Status
Not open for further replies.

xilca

Materials
Sep 7, 2001
A2

can anyone help me about porous ceramics....what are these all about. the possible methods to be able to obtain such kind of body , the necessary chemical analysis needed ,the possible materials involved etc.,just anything about it....

thanks,

xilca

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If you are still looking for info on this topic, there is a good article on foamed ceramics in this month's (Vol 10 No 2 Feb'02) issue of Materials World.

Regards

Ed

If you still need more information about porous ceramics I would be glad to help. I was director of R&D for a technical porous ceramics company from 1988 to 1999 when I left to start my own company. You can contact me at cshec@capital.net

We are setting up an operation to make porous ceramics and would be happy to discuss your application.

Sam C Weaver
Millennium Materials, Inc
samcweaver@aol.com

Hellow,
Porous ceramics are one of the emerging field. It has applications as catalysts, filters and memberanes. You can select the synthesis routes as per your requirements. the porosity ranges from meso to macro pores. the reticulate ceramics also belong to this catagory. The porosity features of your synthesised body could be analyesd by permeabilty test or by mercurry porosimeter. The BET surface area also gives you the idea about pore size distribution. The ceramic slurry with suitable dispersant, binder, and anti foaming agent could be formed and soaked with polyurethane foams which is further dried and heat treated to get porous ceramics. it has interconnected porosity network good for filter purposes. The chemical methods called sol gel technique is used for membranes with ordered porosity. The waxing method also resulted in porosity of desired structures. But you have to design a mould of required applications. Do you look for Honeycomb structures? It is also a porous ceramic used for particulate filters. There are many research publications available in J.Am.Ceram.Soc for the last five years.
if you need more informtaions please send the reply mail.
ananth777kumar@yahoo.com
regards
kumar

I know that zeolites, pillared clays, and MCM-41 type materials have porous structures. These materials (basically powders) are used in membranes or in seperation process. Zeolites especially have very good selective seperation properties. You can take a look at for more information about zeolites.

Regards

Gunes

Hello,
One of suitable method for obtaining porous materials is so called selective leaching method. As may you knows a clay minerals consist from layered structure ( tetrahedral silica and octahedral alumina or magnesium). If you treat them in suitable conditions by acid or base respective cations will be removed and lift pores. Porous silica obtained by this method contains huge amount of silanol groups on the surface and suitable for using as adsorbents etc. Porous silica obtained by this method shows BET surface area up to 600m2/g. More than silica gel!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back