Portable Generator Output Breaker?

Status
Not open for further replies.

CuriousElectron

Electrical
Jun 24, 2017
US
Hi Gents,
I had a few questions, wonder if someone could educate me...
1)Does a portable generator typically come with a non-adjustable thermal magnetic output breaker? I could see the benefit of an adjustable breaker, say if the user wanted to limit the output of the genset, say to protect the feeder going to the load..
2)Is it possible to have multiple output voltages on the genset? Say a 480V source and 120/240 Source? That way, you'd not need to provide two separate generators for two different systems.
3)Does a rental genset typically have an integral load center for internal heater and battery charger? It would make sense that the unit would derive power for internal usage from its own generator.

Thank you!
EE

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Forget the adjustable breaker.
The breaker rating is selected by the manufacturer to best protect the set.
Possible but never done for rental equipment.
There may be exceptions for special dedicated loads.
One problem is summing the currents of both windings so as to protect the windings.
If two voltages are required, the generator rental firm will be happy to rent you a transformer as well.
I'm not sure what you mean by a load center.
Standby generators often have an internal battery charger.
If used the battery charger is powered by a dedicated circuit in a grid powered panel.
The battery charger is not a good idea.
Without a charger, one day the battery fails and the set won't start.
With a charger, one day the battery explodes and the set won't start.
Many standby sets have a coolant heater to avoid cold starts.
The coolant heater is powered from a dedicated circuit in a grid powered panel.
Rental sets rarely have this feature.

Bill
--------------------
"Why not the best?"
Jimmy Carter

I work for a generator company with a large rental fleet.

1) All of our units have adjustable breakers in order that output cables can be properly protected

2) Yes. Many of our rentals have generator ends with separate windings and/or built in transformers so that 120/240 can be provided simultaneously with 480/600

3) Rental gensets do typically come equipped with battery charger, coolant heater, anti condensation heaters, etc. Since these loads are required to be energized when the genset is NOT running, they must be fed from utility or what we call “shore” power

IBRCAN:
Can you share a link to a description of the breakers used on your sets?
Thanks.

Bill
--------------------
"Why not the best?"
Jimmy Carter

By the way, in this area most of the rental sets do have coolant heaters.
I own two ex-rental sets, both with coolant heaters.
At thirty below, you probably won't get the set started without a heater.
A friend hauled a rental set about 110 miles, running.
It was minus 30 and no shore power was available at the site.
The set was started in the rental yard and then hauled to a remote job site.
120 Volt inverters are common on service trucks out here if you need shore power to warm up a set prior to starting.
Leaving the truck running for a couple of hours is no problem. At low temperatures the service trucks are left running in any event.

Bill
--------------------
"Why not the best?"
Jimmy Carter

Adjustable trip thermal-magnetic breakers are allowed in IEC countries, they are not in North America. So it will depend on what part of the world is being discussed.

We in NA can use programmable electronic trip breakers, but Portable rental generators are not going to have those. Too complicated for casual users.

Multiple voltages, breaker panels etc are features sometimes found in LARGE rental gensets, as in bring it in with a semi tractor-trailer, because they will be built into a large container that has room for the transformers and panels. But the smaller portables that you can hook up to a trailer hitch on your pickup truck typically don’t offer those options. So again, it will depend on what size rental generator system you are referring to.

Details matter. Your question is skin to asking if rental cars come with a GPS... some do, some don’t.

" We are all here on earth to help others; what on earth the others are here for I don't know." -- W. H. Auden

We see some rental sets in the oil patch that are switchable between 277/480 Volts and 347/600 Volts but both combinations may not be used at the same time.

Bill
--------------------
"Why not the best?"
Jimmy Carter

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back