Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Position recognition . 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

weir

Mechanical
Aug 6, 2000
GB
To make a long story short I have worked as second in command in a 6 man machine shop for 6 years.In that time the owner died and I looked after the place for approx 3 months until his son in law (not an engineer) took over and eventually bought the place with his wife.Two years into his training he also (tragically) passed away.I have now been looking after the place for approx 8 months 6 months sickness and 2 months since he died and it appears his wife intends to just let things carry on.I am feeling that as I do all the costing sales and invoicing and am responsible for the day to day running it might as well be my own company and I am due some recognition money or otherwise .How do I approach a recently widowed woman with 2 young children and not appear to be hitting on her when she is down.Or maybe I am expecting too much and should be put in my place??

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Seems to me that wife doesn't know much about a machine shop and doesn't care, but it is probably her livelyhood right now. It seems to me that you have to put together a business plan, make a preliminary trip to the bank for a loan application, and present the buy-out proposal to her. With the money for selling off the business she should be financially stable for a while and you get your own business, since it appears to by yours anyway.

The really touchy issue on this subject is if she is emotionally attached to the machine shop because it was her husband's business. She may feel that once that is gone, she has completely lost him, and her son-in-law. But, if she were going to give it up, as seems the logical choice in her position, she would probably want to give it to someone who is practically family (you) than anyone else. She may be willing, if you are a close personal friend, to just give you the machine shop. Don't accept it for free! Assure her--in writing-- that if she won't accept payment now, that you will pay her later. Once she gets over the grieving she may conceive that you took advantage of her at this time to get the business. If you state in a contract that you will pay her for the business, then she can't claim that.

As with all ethical questions, this doesn't give you an answer, as the answer can only be determined by you. Hopefully, it gives you some areas to think about.

--Scott

Thankyou SCOTT it is good to hear an outsiders view as at the moment I feel I duty bound to carry on but my instinct tells me I should speak up .You have given me something to think about .Many thanks
Jack

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back