Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Position Tolerance Usage

Status
Not open for further replies.

cascadco

Automotive
Oct 26, 2007
Does anyone know, postion tolerance usage tips.

For example I know using for hole positioning.
But attached symbol used for surface, what does it mean?

Best regards.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

cascadco, take a look at some of the links Chris gave you.

Also has a little.

According to ASME Y14.5M-1994, the US Dimensioning& Tolerancing standard:

"2.1.1.1 Positional Tolerance Method. Preferably, tolerances on dimensions that locate features of size are specifieed by the positional tolerance method ..."

So it's not just holes although that is perhaps its most common application.

Without seeing the 'surface' that FCF was pointing to on the drawing it's difficult to say what it meant. The fact it doesn't have a diameter symbol means it's a square position zone rather than circular as often used with holes, if that helps.

KENAT, probably the least qualified checker you'll ever meet...

In Y14.5, the Position characteristic controls extracted geometry of "features of size":

-Axis of a cylinder
-Centerplane of a slot or slab
-Center point of a sphere

That's it. There is no application of Position to surfaces. Location control of surfaces is accomplished using Surface Profile.

Evan Janeshewski

Axymetrix Quality Engineering Inc.

This FCF would almost certainly have to be located under a toleranced dimension. I can't think of an instance where an arrow would point to a feature and this be legal. In fact, I can't think of an instance where you would reference 3 datums and not have a diameter symbol preceding the tolerance value. Maybe it's just sort of late and I'm not thinking enough.

Powerhound, GDTP T-0419
Production Supervisor
Inventor 2008
Mastercam X2
Smartcam 11.1
SSG, U.S. Army
Taji, Iraq OIF II

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back