Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Positional Tolerance of a Corner profile

Status
Not open for further replies.

MPSU

Automotive
Aug 26, 2024
CA
Hello guys. We just got a new plastic part and we were reviewing its drawing when we noticed that there is positional callout at the corner and it says TYP 4x. Since it is a continous edge, I am wondering why it says 4x. ALso, how could we measure positional tolerance at the corner. Any ideas?

I have attached a simplified version of the drawing, please excuse my drawing skills. Thanks.

EDIT: FYI, B & C are the threaded holes. Do you guys have any idea on that one too, as to how fixture this whole thing since no dimensions are given on B & C, i am assuming just make a threaded pin?

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=bf8f79b3-587e-45de-887a-4d6f81b1bd86&file=Positional_Tolerance.pdf
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What is shown is sufficiently flawed as to have no meaningful interpretation.

To be charitable, it looks like an attempt to sabotage your company, but maybe it is just such a level of ignorance that finding a job in waste management would be a better choice for whoever is putting that garbage onto drawings.

Guys, lets ignore the positional callout for now. Can you guys give your views on the datum scheme. Since the dia. of threaded hole (B & C) is not given, what should we go with

Time for a sit-down with your boss about these. If this is from every OEM, then either your contracting group has a problem or whoever they are coming to for estimates does. This should have been sorted out before it gets to QA/QC.

Who is making the parts? What did they analyze to ensure their process makes acceptable parts?

Is this for an aftermarket parts supplier that is notorious for items not working or not fitting?

TYP could be standing for "(this is a) TYPical drawing that doesn't follow dimensioning and tolerancing standards".

Could you have a meeting (online or frontal) with the OEM where the design intent would be clarified and proper specifications proposed?

The sketch implies that the part is cylindrical/conical. Based on that assumption, I don't think that its possible to locate on the A1 and A2 datum targets. If the A-target surface is in fact flat, inspection would be a lot more repeatable if there was more separation between the A1 and A2 targets. Otherwise, theoretically the datum scheme could work.

Best regards,
Doug Hunter
Altarium Technical Consulting

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back