Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Post Builder not allowing access to...

Status
Not open for further replies.

FG4608

Mechanical
Jun 15, 2009
US
Hello,

I am in the process of customizing my post and adding I,J,K, & P variables to my drill deep & drill chip break cycles.
I,J, & K no problem! I added them by using user defined expressions and the following:

$mom_cycle_step1 for I,
$mom_cycle_step2 for J, and
$mom_cycle_step3 for K

But it will not let me use step4 for P

(The 'P' word on a fadal in this case is a value that dictates the feed distance before the next peck)

How can I add this fourth variable?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Yes, I can change the leader to whatI wish, but it won't let me read the value from step 4 thru 7 where I define the Step Values in my drilling cycle parameters. It is the
$mom_cycle_step4 command that is not working...

By default, the post I am working with is using $mom_cycle_step1 for the 'Q' value, which I have allready changed to my 'I'...

Thanks Beforehand!

Do you see the variables in the review tool?

"...it won't let me read the value from step 4 thru 7 where I define the Step Values in my drilling cycle parameters. It is the $mom_cycle_step4 command that is not working..."

Mark Rief
Product Manager
Siemens PLM

As far as I can tell by reading the online documentations, there are only three mom variables/expressions available by default:

$mom_cycle_step1, $mom_cycle_step2, and $mom_cycle_step3.

What I am trying to accomplish accessing the values I enter under 'Cycle Parameters-> Step Values Defined' so that I can use them to set the P word in my g-code. The three variables/expressions mentioned above correspond to Step#1-thru-#3, but what variables/expressions can I use to accces Step#4-thru-#7?

I can do the work-around and have the operator set the "dwell" to the distance desired and just have them ignore the unit and intended use but that is just not right in my book...

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=081851e2-f649-4d78-b2db-0671b7c7c162&file=step_variables.jpg
Only the first 3 steps are set as mom variables.
You will need to use something else, or a UDE or attribute to capture an additional value.

Mark Rief
Product Manager
Siemens PLM

Thanks Everybody,

Sound like I'm in a little over my head for now then. Guess we'll stick with my workaround untill I get a chance to go to the Post Builder class unless I can get my hand on some further documentation... :)

I hope you all have a great weekend!

I,J & K enable me to make much more efficient pecking cycles. Where I is the initial pack depth (which mean I can eliminate "air" drilling to clear my initial clearance plane), J and K being the reducing and minimum values enable me to utilize the extended drill depth capabilities while maintaining proper chip extraction and lubrication(we mainly drill fairly small diameter holes in aluminum using parabolic drill that are usually capable of 8-9xdia depths vs the standard 3-4xdia). The reason I want to be able to use the P word as well is that; A, we have older machines that I do not trust to repeat perfectly and not to go just a little too far when rapiding back into the hole, and B, just in case there are still some chips remaining in the whole when the drill returns...
I hope I don't sound like too much of a smarty pants there. It was not my intentions.

FG

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back