Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Post Builder - using Linked Posts 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paul1970

Mechanical
Nov 3, 2004
CA
Would someone please tell me where I could find information on how to use Linked Posts in Post Builder?

I'm using Version 3.5.2 of Post Builder and would like to learn more about Linked Posts.

Thanks,
Paul Perry

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

First review the help docs.

You will need 2 post processors; this is typically a mill and a lathe.

Choose which post will be the “Master” and which will be linked to the master

Open the Master post in post Builder. On the Program and Tool Path tab select Linked Posts.
Activate Link other Posts to this post
Enter a Head command – for example this is the mill post then enter Mill as the Head command.
Click New to link other posts to this one. For example a lathe post.
Enter the Head command – Lathe Then click select name and browse for the Lathe post. Note: they should be in the same directory as the other posts that are going to be linked together. Now the posts are linked but this is only half of the battle.

In NX you will need to add a User Defined Event to call the different posts.
The UDE needs to be in a method object or a program group. I like to use methods that way I only have one program group.
Create a method for mill and one for turn.
From the operation navigator right click on the mill method and select Object | Start Events. Add a HEAD event and enter Mill as the name – this is what will call the mill post. Do the same with the Lathe method and add the Head UDE with lathe as the name.

Now when you create your operations use the Mill or Lathe methods respectively.

Your Method view should look something like this.

Mill_method – the one with the head UDE
Rough_mill
Milling_opertation_1
Milling_operation_2
Lathe_method
Rough_turn
Lathe_operation_01

See the attached image.

John Joyce
Tata Technologies iKS
1675 Larimer St.
Denver, CO
www.myigetit.com

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=38bc4311-4970-438d-ba7c-4e2c4aa557bf&file=linked_post_ont.gif
Thanks John,

I have been trying to get this to work with no luck. I tried to attach the UDE to the operations.

This should clear up a few things

Is it possible to control which linked post to be used thru "post builder" instead of a UDE in NX?

For instance, I have a post called: "Haas_Master" and linked to "Haas_Master" are 4 posts that are variants of each other on based on which fixture is used, determines which of these posts are going to be used.

Perhaps controlled by a windows prompt for a string or value?

Thanks,
Paul Perry

John, I've figured out how to do this.....

I've inserted the following code within a custom command, at the very top of "Start of Program" in post builder. I've tested this and it seems to work.

global mom_head_name

set mom_head_name "name of required head"

MOM_head

"name of required head" could be a variable determined thru a prompt, so.... the only thing now is to create some sort of prompt, maybe using a radial button thru which the required post is selected.

Paul

In case you ever read these posts:

Thanks a bunch Eric for helping me figure this one out.

Credit goes to Eric Bourgoin.... the Post Builder / TCL guru.

P

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back