Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

post graduate delimma 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

hizdadd

Industrial
Jan 22, 2012
Hi, I have just completed my Bachelors of Engineering in Industrial and
manufacturing, and now i am planning to do my Masters from Canada/ America.
i have been really confused as to what i should pursue in my post graduate studies. initially i thought of opting for a management sciences(operations research, supply chain) program. But then i thought some diversity would be good and an environmental degree would be helpful. But i read in a forum somewhere that environmental engineers were finding it very hard to get work in the US or Canada.
So just a little advise from you guys would be helpful, as to what degree i should pursue and the job market for that particular program. And also with having two degree (graduate and post graduate degree) in different subject how will employers view me? is it going to be an advantage or not?

Here are some of the programs i am thinking of
1)Environmental engineering
2)management science or industrial engineering
3)mechanical engineering
4)petroleum engineering

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You appear to have things back asswards.

First off "what do you want to be when you grow up?"

Then determine if this is a moderately realistic goal, if there is market demand for it etc.

Then consider what additional education will help you get there.

Posting guidelines faq731-376 (probably not aimed specifically at you)
What is Engineering anyway: faq1088-1484

I see you are pretty new here, so you probably don't know much about the "search" feature of eng-tips.com. We discuss getting a Masters immediately after a BS in several dozen recent threads and you might get some insight into the opinions of members by doing a search on "masters degree", I did that and found
[ul]
[li]thread481-322834[/li]
[li]thread730-317005[/li]
[li]thread1088-314508[/li]
[/ul]
Take a look.

David Simpson, PE
MuleShoe Engineering

"Belief" is the acceptance of an hypotheses in the absence of data.
"Prejudice" is having an opinion not supported by the preponderance of the data.
"Knowledge" is only found through the accumulation and analysis of data.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back