Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

power factor correction 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

purplepete

Electrical
Jun 24, 2002
AU
I'm in Melbourne, OZ, ie 50Hz. Can anyone point me to orthodox guidance on FUSE sizing for motors with PF correction capacitors connected in parallel. I will soon have a 25 kW 0.56 PF 415 volt 16-pole motor. I want to bring the 77 amp motor FLC back to a line current of only about 50 amps using about 37.5 kVAR of capacitor. Trouble is I don't have much in the way of fuseholder capacity, I'm limited to a 63M100 amp fuse and am not sure if I'm courting disaster.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The 37.5 kVA is derived from a number of sources: Siemens and the OZ agent for Sprecher and Schuh do a very good algorithm which I used, aiming for correction to 0.95 PF. An old GE diary also has the same data in the form of a table. My actual load will be about 22 kW of the 25 rating. The precise value of capacitor doesn't matter much, rather the inrush currents, even when using capacitor-switching contactors.

37500 vars
415 volts
1.732 root3
52.2 /ø bank amperes
1.35 US code multiplier
70.4 A overcurrent device

Subject to interpretation and applicability to regional variations and local customs.

Suggestion: Please, would you post the motor efficiency and indicate the motor horsepower or whether kW is input or shaft output in order to get the 77A in correct relationships.

Purplepete;

Can you please post this "algorithm" used to work out the PFC kVAr. It seems as though your correction may be a little on the high side (possibly creating a leading PF).

Suggestion: A clarification is needed for the following relationships (Hi Mark!)
25kW = ? = sqrt3 x 0.415kV x 77A x 0.56PF = 30.99kW
Mark, is anything wrong in the posting?

Hello jbartos.
Dont forget that the 25KW is shaft power. If you take into account efficiency, then the KW input will be higher.In this case an efficiency of 81% does not seem untoward. 16 pole motors tend to have a low power factor and a lowish efficiency, but still often better that the combination of a high speed motor and gearbox.

Calculate another way, KVA = 77 x sqrt3 x 0.415 = 55.3
=> KVAR = 55.3 x sin (acos(0.56)) = 45.9

Critical correction would be 45.9KVAR

Best regards,
Mark. Mark Empson

Gents,
thanks for the guidance. I'm seriously not concerned with the accuracy of my correction. I will have capacitors with taps toplay with anyway. The big concern is that I can only put a 63M100 fuse in as a MAXIMUM. I simply don't know if this will cope with the starting current of the 16-pole motor (about 250 amps) as well as the inrush of the capacitor..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back