Power Factor Improvement For Generators 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

hamad522452123

Electrical
Apr 1, 2024
PK
Respected Members
I read and visited many sites but I m not clear about Power Factor Improvement Panel should install where only Generators supplied the electricity
I am working at compression station. We have 634 KW Generators installed. The current Power factor is 0.8, My boss said it should be improve to 0.98.
Remember we r not given any electricity to any user.
But I read that if we improve power factor the it may be damaged generators by Over excitation. I am unable to understand its theory and still confuse i am going to install or not?

Please help me with theory or share any article about this.

Regards

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

And the pot called the kettle.....
che12345 said:
3. This SI in kVA (NOT KVA) is recognized by IEC and IEEE Standards, with NO acception.
A gentle suggestion, Sir.
Before taking exception to my capitalization of one letter, upgrade your spell-check routine.
Or, consider the irony if you did mean to use the obsolete word acception to complain about my use of an obsolete but much more common term.
Despite the change adoption of SI by the IEEE, the change from KVA to kVA was one of the slowest to change in general usage.
Generator nameplates were possibly the last to change from KVA to kVA.
I haven't installed a new generator for a few years now, but I have yet to see a nameplate rating in kVA on a generator.
KW in place of kW was also common on nameplates.

--------------------
Ohm's law
Not just a good idea;
It's the LAW!

waross has a longer winded (better? sorry waross...) explanation but the summary is, if you're the only source on your network, then your load defines the power factor and the required reactive power.
If the required reactive power is within the capability curve of the generator, and the load is within your control then there's not much point in trying to arbitrarily correct to 0.98 or better, particularly not within the size being discussed.

EDMS Australia

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back