Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Power Factor.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mora2

Electrical
Oct 12, 2005
US
Dears All:
I´m designing one system in Low voltage, now I have one doubt. I have calculated the KVAr´s to increase the F.P. from 0.86 to 0.9 by local regulation, however, I have considered the load in operation but i not sure if that is correct because I think the installed load shall be considered, please send me your opinion.
Obviously when the system be started i will know the Power Factor but now i´m in stage of design.

Thank you.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Not clear on your question....

You want to improve the PF (Power Factor)?

You want to calculate this for your steady state running load.

I don't think you have a "start up" PF problem generally.

But again, I'm not clear on your question.

The improvement is to be from the existing PF to the desired PF . You can check on the Table for it from any capacitor manufacturers catalogue or engineers hand book where if you know KW , existing PF, and desired PF will give you the required KVAr. The capacitor banks are given in multiples of lower KVAr and the microprocessor control will only add desired PF to obtain the set value

Mora
If you are on a KVA demand billing don't stop at a PF of 0.90. You will find it cost justified to add more caps and raise the PF higher.

If you are designing for installed load, then maybe you'd want to design the transformers and equipment to that spec as well. Which would mean overdesign, and extra cost. Design for running load as mentioned, however, as said, the higher the pf the better.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back