PQR Responsibility

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paulettaa

Mechanical
Mar 17, 2018
DE
Dear All,

If I am the manufacturer of a pressure vessel and I want to outsource fabrication of heads (which have seam welds) to another vendor, can I give them my own WPS & PQR and they follow it or should they prepare their own?
Where in the code can I find the answer to this question?

Warm Regards

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I'm not particularly familiar with welding, however I expect as a minimum that they will be able to use your WPS and will need to carry out their own workshop specific PQR to show that their workshop is capable of achieving success with your WPS. I may be wrong.

Assuming your pressure vessel is built to ASME requirements, each organization is responsible for their own WPS and PQR per ASME Section IX.

See ASME VIII Div 1 UW-26 ......All welding shall be performed in accordance with the Manufacturer’s welding procedure specifications in accordance with the requirements of Section IX.

Regards

I think your question has been answered by other posters.

Just to add a few other requirements:
[ul]
[li]The head welds must be performed by an ASME VIII-1 shop.[/li]
[li]An authorized inspector will need to be involved at the suppliers shop.[/li]
[li]The head will need to be supplied with an ASME VIII-1 U-2/U-2A form.[/li]
[/ul]

They may use your weld procedure so long as they justify it with their own PQR. They may not use your PQR. Agree with Marty007 on the additional requirements.

QW-200.1 Each organization shall prepare written Welding Procedure Specifications that are defined as follows....

Each company(organization) has to have it's own WPS's in addition to PQRs. They could look identical to another companies if they want, but it has to be their own the way I understand it.

A technical note: the head vendor's welding procedures must cover all possible exigencies of your subsequent fabrication. That means PWHT if you do that later, and especially, it must cover impacts at your MDMT if that is required by your vessel design.

"Everyone is entitled to their own opinions, but they are not entitled to their own facts."

agree with marty007 and other respected member's advice,

please ask for partial data forms / U2 forms from head manufacturer vendor, this partial data form will need AI and vendors signature on it too.

so as next step head manufacturer vendor will need to contact their AI , and that will lead vendor to have their own WPS,WPQ,PQR

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back