PQR Tensile Strength Less than Material

Status
Not open for further replies.

YMech

Mechanical
Aug 29, 2017
US
Hello,

I have an existing PQR, done on a P1 Group 2 material (SA-516 Gr. 70), using 80 series wires (GMAW, FCAW, and SAW).

The tensiles for this PQR broke in the base at 78ksi and 77.6ksi.

No impact testing is required, so group number is NOT a supplemental essential variable.

Am I able to use this procedure on P1 group 3 material where the minimum tensile strength of the material is 82ksi? I know I am good on the group number, and the wire will cover the strength, but not sure if this is allowed being that the tensile tests broke below the material strength I now need to weld.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

QW-153.1 (d) if the specimen breaks in the base metal outside of the weld or weld interface, the test shall be accepted as meeting the requirements, provided the strength is not more than 5% below the minimum specified tensile strength of the base metal.

QW-153.1 (d) does not apply to this question.

I am away from my Code books, and it’s not a question that’s ever come up for me, but I would hazard a guess of ‘yes’, BUT only in principle. The complication is that you need a low alloy filler metal (i.e. 80 ksi strength), which means a change in A-number to match the base metal strength, kicking in a new qualification.

I’ll bet this has been answered in Section IX interpretations.

"If you don't have time to do the job right the first time, when are you going to find time to repair it?"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back