Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

precoat leaf filteration 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

viscose

Chemical
Apr 2, 2002
IN
I AM USING A PRECOAT FILTER IN MY CAUSTIC SODA PLANT FOR BRINE FILTERATION. THE PRECOAT MEDIA IS CELLULOSE.
THE FILTERS ARE RUNNING AT 40% OF RATED CAPACITY.
I WANT TO KNOW WHETHER
INCRESING FILTER AID WILL REDUCE PRESSURE DROP
FILTR CLOTH IS OF 40 MICRON. SHOULD I INCRESE THE SIZE
WILL IT REDUCE THE QUALITY OF BRINE
PLEASE GIVE YOUR OPINIONS
THANKS
VISCOSE

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

In pulp and paper teflon coated polpropylene (Gore-Tex) is commonly used on caustic slurries. The most common in these applications is 10 micron.

thank you dear headley
THe Filter is for brine filteration.the liquid is brine,not caustic. i am using cellulose as filter aid.Are you suggesting gore-tex as replacement for cellulose.
I am from India. can you suggest me the suppliers
thanks
viscose

In our chloralkali process, we have a brine filtration unit which is similar to yours, but we have carbon filter elements instead of a filter cloth.

We had similar problems in filter dP and filtrate pH control, which was crucial for brine chealating. Adding 50% more filter aid and increasing the forward circulation step (during the filter change-over cycle) seemed to help, and we have excellent filter life since. The coating on filter seemed to hold although it was thicker

If the filter is running at 40% it's capacity, it might be due to excessive blinding of the filter cloth. A 4% HCl wash was recommended for cleaning the filter cloth. Contact your filter manufacturer for details.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back