Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Prequalified Flare Bevel

Status
Not open for further replies.

SmithJ

Structural
Apr 11, 2003
US
Hi All,

Are there any prequalified flare bevel welds that are available for use? I have looked through the AISC manual and do not seem to find pre-qualified flare bevel welds.

I am attempting to weld a 1-1/4" rod to a flat plate and need to size the weld along the rod/plate interface. Page 58 of AWS D1.1 2000 shows a prequalified flare bevel weld for structural tube to flat plate. Is this okay to use in this rod/plate situation?

Another question: When sizing the flare bevel weld, is it conservative to use the design capacities of a fillet weld?

Thanks in advance,
JS.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

J. Smith,

I do not think the BTC designations on page 58 are to be construed to also apply to joints where round bars are attached to plates with flare bevel groove welds. Usually notes for the tables in Figures 3.3 and 3.4 cover such matters. Maybe the 2004 D1.1 permits it.

Deformed as well as round plain low-alloy or mild billet steel bars, welded to steel plates, using flare bevel groove welds, are not considered prequalified, so I will not be suprised if qualification testing is required for your case. Rather similar joint configuration, no?

Have a look at D1.1 Section 2.3.3.2 and 4.10.5, it may provide a way out. Alternatively, if the fabricator has already been selected, check if they have a WPS(based on previous qualification testing) on file that deals with this...and if you feel happy about it, approve it.

You are probably aware of this, but in case you are not, the 2005 AISC Spec for Structural Bldgs has modified D1.1's Table 2.1 (Effective Weld Size of Flare Groove Welds). The corresponding AISC Table is J2.2

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back