Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Press fit into nylon 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheMotionGuy

Mechanical
Jun 17, 2010
US
I need to press fit a metal threaded insert into a piece of nylon. Does anyone have advice on how much interference would be adequate?

I generalize by saying metal because I was thinking of using brass or steel.. is there another material that would be better suited for this application?

It will not be load bearing.. it is a connection point for a handle to a custom chuck for a manual cleaning device.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Depending on a press fit in a plastic part for mechanical integrity is a bad idea.

Adding a set screw may help, but is still problematical.

We generally used a diamond knurl on metal shafts to give torque resistance and push out retention. This works best for plastic gears. Research knurls and learn about interferences. We used several thous. on small shafts like 3/8"D. The straight knurl is reserved for metal to metal interferences.

adhesive bonding for around the insert? Or an adhesive connection instead of a threaded connection.

I need the parts to come apart because it is a universal handle.

If you can, try to use flanged inserts where the pull force is going from the flanged end to the split end. Press fits are nice but nothing helps you sleep better at night than the phrase "infinite mechanical advantage"

Also, if you dig down deeper into dodge ultraserts you see a table like the attached, which should do it for you.

Chris Loughnane - Product Design

Dodge has some well detailed info.. I've found everything I need to finish designing the connection.

Thank you for pointing me in the right direction.

-Dale

The Dodge products are for insertion via ultrasonics, heat or insert molding. You asked for press fit, which means you should use the Spirol product instead.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back