Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Press fit pin retention

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattRR

Mechanical
Oct 23, 2002
US
We currently pin two concentric shafts to form a torquemeter. We use five pins around the circumference of the shafts. The pins are inserted radially from the outside. We weld over the tops of the pins to insure they do not come loose under heavy vibration. We would like to eliminate the weld. Is it possible to just use a heavy press fit? Do we need to stake or swage the pin? Is there s special type of pin we should be using?
Also, we machine a flat on one side of the pins. The purpose is to allow air to escape during the pressing operation, as the inside shaft is not drilled all the way through. Is this common practice? Is it really necessary?

Thanks for any help you can provide!
Matt

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

We have vibration under unusual situations - usually when we have not balanced the assembly correctly. Thanks for the websites!

I haven't been able to get "Locktite" to go into a pressed fit hole very well with modification of the hole.
If you look at the grooved pin you can see that it is a mechanical fit because of the upset groove.

Also you can double spring pins to help both in the load carrying capacity and stay at home properties.

Our use for the groove pins were in drive shafts going around 100 RPM with a single Cardan u-joint and one end free.

If we put a flat on the side of the pin to let the air out, would loctite work ok? There is a loctite UK website that indicates loctite works well on press fit pins.
I know that roll pins do work lose. I just need assurance that the groove pin absolutely will not work lose before I can propose it. We are turning 15000 rpm on a 4 inch diameter. Thanks for all the help and info! If anyone else has an opinion on locktite or groove pins, it would be greatly appreciated!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back