Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pressure drop through strainer mesh

Status
Not open for further replies.

arunb

Mechanical
Jul 17, 2002
CA
Hi:

I am looking to establish the flow resistance for a rectangular wire mesh strainer fitted in a lube oil tank to handle higher flow requirements.(The present strainer does not handle the flow requirement and there is a backing up.) I would like to estimate the pressure drop for different screens. I would appreciate any help on formulae or correlation for this calculation.

Thank you in advance.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

"Flow Resistance A Design Guide for Engineers" Edwin Fried I. E. Idelchik, 1989, published by Taylor & Francis Ltd. is what you are looking for. Chapter 8 contains a complete set of coefficients to deal with various screens, grids, perforated plates, etc. The book is available and costs about $80 the last time I checked. It isn't cheap, but buy it. It is worth the price.

Arunb,
I came across this info in a library book so I'm posting it here in case you're interested:

For a porus parabolic dish antenna of diameter D:

Frontal area =A = [pi/4]D^2

Porosity = open area/total area

Drag Coefficients vs flow direction and porosity
porosity of dish -------------------- 0 0.2 0.5
air flow toward front of dish ->) 1.42 1.20 0.82
air flow toward rear of dish )<- 0.95 0.90 0.80

It's not the same situation as you have but it might give you some place to start.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back