Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pressure gauge at discharge of pumps

Status
Not open for further replies.

garfio

Mechanical
Jul 17, 2005
US
At the discharge of pumps,I use to locate the pressure gauges downstream from the check valves so it could help me as a reference of a malfunction of the check. I've seen other people installing the gauges right after the pump (before the check). Any comment or suggestion regarding the best location?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If you're trying to detect a malfunction of the pump, or just assess its operating point, putting the gage on the pump makes sense.

If you're trying to detect a malfunction of the check valve, then a gage downstream of the valve makes sense.

I'd buy cheaper gages and do both.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

One has only to remember that, discarding elevation effects, and following Bernoulli's equation, the -horizontal- pipe diameter on which the gage is installed may influence the reading, by interchanging velocity head and static head.

BigInch, that's precisely the point, by changing pipe diameters one head is converted into the other changing the static pressure readings.

A gage directly after the pump will be much more useful than one after the check valve. It will allow, checking of actual pump discharge pressure for performance monitoring and help verify pump depressuring for maintenance, both of which should be more commonly required than check valve troubleshooting.

I agree with rzrbk on installing it right after the pump. In fact some codes (ANSI K61.1) require you install one immediately on the discharge of the pump. Installing it after the check valve may give you false pump readings if the error is in the check valve.

We put our pressure measurement (gauge/transmitter) after the pump, and before the check valve.

This gives a true reading of discharge pressure of the pump, without the effects of the check valve.

"Do not worry about your problems with mathematics, I assure you mine are far greater."
Albert Einstein
Have you read FAQ731-376 to make the best use of Eng-Tips Forums?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back