Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Pressure Relief Valves

Status
Not open for further replies.

mrsongs

Mechanical
Nov 27, 2007
US
Somewhere in code, I know I've seen it, there is a section on recommended practices for installation of Pressure Relief Valves. It recommends a certain height for relieving hot liquids and steam/condensate so that when it reaches ground level it no longer is hot enough to cause a safety hazard. Can anyone help me locate this or give me the rules of thumb?

I seem to remember that from 160-180*F the relieving heigh was somewhere around 22-24 feet. I'm looking at relieving 150*F liquid.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The ASME B31 Pressure Piping Code provides the
standards and requirements for pressure relief devices.

David Baird

Sr Controls Designer
EET degree.
Journeyman Electrician.

Yes. I have B31.1 and 31.3. However, I also have the full pressure vessel code. I can't find the section I'm looking for. I've read the whole thing, awhile ago. I remember seeing something on recommended discharges. I can find all of the discharge information on location, direction and support; but I can't find anything on height. I'm pretty sure I saw it there or in some other training material and I can't find it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back