Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Pressure Vessel Design 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

dannyo

Chemical
Aug 22, 2001
US
Could anyone point me in the direction of a good (quality) pressure vessel design book? I'm looking for a book with equations/explinations of design proceedures. I currently have the Pressure Vessel Design Manual (by Dennis Moss). The book has everything I am looking for as far as vessel design (seismic / wind design, support lug / saddle design among other things), but it is full of errors. I have been told the Pressure Vessel Design Handbook (by Henry Bednar) is a good book. Any comments / suggestions?

Thank you!!

Danny

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I would also recommend the Bednar book. I would also look at purchasing the following:

Pressure Vessel Handbook by Eugene Megyesy
Design of Process Equipment by Kanit K. Mahajan

Good pressure vessel books in general that discuss the code and theory would be:

Theory and Design of Pressure Vessels by John Harvey
The ASME Code Simplified - Pressure Vessels by Robert Chuse and Bryce Carson.

And of course, another good source is the ASME Code itself.

Other good reference books to have would be:

Distillation Design by Henry Kister
Aboveground Storage Tanks by Philip Myers

There are others, specifically in the structural engineering side of things, that touch on leg supports, lug supports, skirt design, foundations, etc... The books I have dedicate about one chapter to tanks and vessels and their structures.

Scott

The best thing is to refer the AMSE (section 8 div.1) codes for the equations and other constants and factors.
You may not get the procedure as such but all the formulas are very correct and useful

Jaymots

dannyo

Good to see you are on the hunt for textbooks with regard
to this subject before you ask any questions.
I have found the following useful
Pressure vessel design Concepts & principles
J spence AS Tooth
0419 19080 5
The book is pricey but there again you get what you pay for.
Cheers
Dave1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back