Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Pressure Vessel Inspector Career 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

emrvin3

Aerospace
Apr 21, 2006
US
I have been in the Manufacturing Industry for nearly 10 years and I would like to make a career change. I would like to pursue a career as a Pressure Vessel Inspector. Any advice as to how I go about this?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

One of the forum members that goes by the handle of aclark will provide some specific guidance for you. He teaches a class for those that want to take the National Board exam and obtain their commission to become an Inspector.

If you want to be an API-510 inspector working the petrochemical inspection circuit, it seems to be one of those industries that you have to know someone to get into. You need to work in the industry for a certain amount of time in order to take the test to get certified. You usually need to be certified in order to get hired on to work. Its a chicken and egg situation. If you know an inspector, you can probably get them to get you hired on as a helper.

Your other option is to break in from the NDE side. You could get an NDE certificate from a tech college (2-3 semesters?) and sign on with an inspection company, then 1-5 years later take your API 510 certification exam.

The upside is reasonably competent API 510 inspectors can work as many months of the year as they choose to accept jobs for, work 12 hour shift with overtime 7 days a week through most of the year, and make $30 to $35 an hour + 1.5X overtime.

The downside is living on the road out of hotels and long hours.

I teach a class at Ivy Tech in Terre Haute Indiana, the next class starts on May 21st and runs through June 2nd. The next national Board exam will be held on June 7th and 8th.

If you are serious and want more information here is the website for the class

If you have any questions I'll be glad to answer them

metengr: Will you be in Phoenix? maybe we can meet there?

aclark:

Thanks to lsthill, I've already checked out the site. I've also browsed thru the National Board's site too.

As solinar mentioned, it seems that in order to be an inspector, you need to have experience in order to take the test and get certified.

aclark:

RE: Ivy Tech Program

Is there a program in Southern California similar to Ivy Tech's program? Is the program only located at Indiana?

Team Members:

Google search: National Board's Boiler & Pressure Vessel Training.

I agree with Allen Clark and his Supervsor Dan "Ivy Tech Program" Just do it!

Best Regards, from Qatar & Toyko, Japan

TECHNICAL NOTE:

I have ask Dan Willis this question 2003;
Q. National Board's Boiler & Pressure Vessel Inspector pass @ 70. then API 510
A. (Yes) Send your Letter form the National Board's to API NOW: (NBIC & API 510)

emrvin3:

The Ivy Tech program is held onlt in Terre Haute, it has been in existance for over 25 years and has a very high sucess rate for the last 2 years it has been 100%.

Its true you do need experiance but you also get credit for education. The point systen is described on the website. If you cantact Becky Miller she can give you my nimber and I can go over it with you.

metengr: you can do the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back