Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Pressure vessel nameplate using ASME as design code 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

toohotforme

Mechanical
Jan 7, 2005
ZA
I have done a search and not found the answer - so if this is a repeat, please forgive me.

I would like an opinion on the following;
ASME codes - lets take ASME VIII DIV 2 as an example, but the question is more general for any ASME.

On the nameplate we put a line called DESIGN CODE: ASME VIII DIV 2 : XXXX
where XXXX is the year of the latest release for that code.

This is to show that the vessel has been designed to the code mentioned - i.e. all the calcs, all the drawings show correct fittings, welds etc.

My reading of the ASME code above suggests that it is not specifically disallowed.

An inspector recently said that it is prohibited to use "ASME" at all on a nameplate - only U stamp holders can do so. We have to remove the line for the design code on the nameplate.
We are not mentioning "fabricated" - only designed.

Thank you for your time in reading this.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

It seems to me that it would be somewhat misleading to list ASME as the design code when it's not an ASME vessel. Those accustomed to looking at ASME nameplates might catch the difference, others would not. It would seem odd to list a design code that was not a construction code and just assume other people discerned the difference. But generally, the item required is the stamp, not the letters ASME.

Your inspector might be thinking of UG-116(h)()3), although it wouldn't strictly apply in this case.

If this is a regular item that is produced, perhaps have nameplates made up that spell out in more detail that design is per ASME but construction and inspection are per your own standards or something like that.

If the vessel tag is not stamped with the ASME certification mark. Your not supposed to use any reference to ASME. But i see ASME VIII Div. 1 stamped on lots of nameplates these days with out the vessel being code.
I think if you look in the foreword of the code book it might explain it. Just my to cents.

We do this all the time, and I see no reason why it should not beallowed to put ASME on a nameplate when ASME is the design code. Dont forget that a lot of countries dont have stamping requirements, e.g. whole Europe, while ASME is a big CoC (Code of COnstruction) in Europe.

Our AI's, doing inspection for the PED, never have had a problem with this. In fact, they would rather insist on having the design on the nameplate.

However, if you design the vessel for a country or state that has rules regarding stamping, then the story may be a little different if you put ASME on there, and dont stamp, obviously.

As for the year, to answer the original question, I would walys put it on there. Why not?

Interesting points of view. Thank you. That got me thinking. This post is now a permanent record so I need to elaborate for the record.

The use of the word "fabrication" was an after-thought to try to distinguish between the use of the Code Stamp. It added confusion.

Also; Why do we limit our term to "Design Code"? It covers the full scope of the code chosen.

Some facts:
1. Our nameplates need to display more information than found on imported vessels from e.g. USA, Europe etc. A second nameplate usually has to be attached showing this information.
2. The whole point is to design, fabricate, select materials, weld, inspect, test and compile documentation etc. that meets the full requirements of the code selected.
3. An important function of the inspector is to verify that this has all been done as per the selected code requirements.
4. We build vessels to codes that are listed and permitted in our laws. Not just ASME.
5. The fabricators here may not be Authorized to use the ASME stamp. They build to many codes. They are competent in their work - just they haven't jumped through the hoops and paid the money to be Authorised to use the ASME stamp.
6. The nameplate is used for information about the design, construction et al. It is not an advertising mark.

I quote from the STATEMENT OF POLICY ON THE USE OF ASME MARKING TO IDENTIFY MANUFACTURED ITEMS found on e.g. page xvii of ASME 1:2010 Rules for Construction of Power Boilers. This is found in many ASME documents.

"...Items constructed in accordance with all of the applicable rules of the Code are identified with the official Code Symbol Stamp described in the governing Section of the Code.

Markings such as "ASME", "ASME Standard," or any other marking including "ASME" or the various Code Symbols shall not be used on any item that is not constructed in accordance with all of the applicable requirements of the Code.

Items shall not be described on ASME Data Report Forms nor on similar forms referring to ASME that tend to imply that all Code requirements have been met when, in fact, they have not been."

(I don't know how to reference quotes from other posts so here's my attempt)
[highlight #FCE94F]ASMEQC (Mechanical) 19 Aug 15 18:06
If the vessel tag is not stamped with the ASME certification mark. Your not supposed to use any reference to ASME.[/highlight]

ASMEQC : I am curious to learn where you get the information to make your claim above. Your handle suggests that you are an authority on QC.

My points 2. and 3. seem to fulfil the ASME statement that to use these markings (not the stamp in our case) it must be constructed in accordance with all of the applicable requirements of the Code.

toohotforme
Markings such as "ASME", "ASME Standard," or any other marking including "ASME" or the various Code Symbols shall not be used on any item that is not constructed in accordance with all of the applicable requirements of the Code.
with the statement above that comes from the foreword of the Code book. if a authorized inspector did not approve the calcs. and do the required inspections and sign a data report then the project does not meet code. And if you do all of the requirements why would you not stamp it.

Hi ASMEQC,
An authorised inspector does do all of those things. Authorised in our country - not sure if ASME is supposed to license an inspector in USA.

I have learned that it is a country thing.
We are prohibited by ASME from using "ASME" in any shape or form.

An Authorized Inspection Agency will be given a 'Certificate of Accreditation' to inspect ASME pressure vessels. It doesn't matter if it is the USA or Canada. AIA can inspect in Canada and ship to USA for installation.

Looking at it from that point of view I guess its clear, still I wonder how practice is so much different from that without ever hearing complaints. Even client specs often spell ASME for their 'European' plants, without stamping requirements.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back