Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Pressure Vessel Rerating

Status
Not open for further replies.

InspectorWilly

Mechanical
Apr 25, 2013
US
Got an ASME VIII D1/NBIC Question. So, my engineers forgot to send out updated mechanical calculations, or to update the hydro test pressure in the drawings. The equipment was fabricated per the new calcs (material thicknesses and such), but hydro tested to the old values, which was a much lower pressure (about 70% of required). The equipment has already shipped to the customer. The question is, can we submit an R-2 to cover the new calcs and have an R-stamp shop perform the hydro at the higher pressure? Or do I need to get the equipment shipped back to the shop and reperform the hydro and write up a new U-1? The equipment has not yet been placed in service. Thanks in advance!

-Willy

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Since the U-1 is signed by the AI and the unit was released from the shop, I would use an R-2 even if you get it back in the shop. Some may say that it looks poorly on them to have a new vessel with a rerate tag on it, but my opinion is that proper documentation of what actually happened looks like an honest company following industry standard procedures.

The equipment has already shipped to the customer. The question is, can we submit an R-2 to cover the new calcs and have an R-stamp shop perform the hydro at the higher pressure? Or do I need to get the equipment shipped back to the shop and reperform the hydro and write up a new U-1? The equipment has not yet been placed in service

This is NBIC code space because the vessel has been completed, regardless if the vessel has or has not been placed into service.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back