Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Prima Domino 16ga SS 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

DKirk1

Mechanical
Jan 14, 2012
US
I have a Prima Domino Laser cutter that was just purchased a year ago (used) to cut mild steel tubes with no problem. Now trying to cut .0625 (16ga) SS with not so great success, my issue is its creating a ton of dross on the bottom of the cut.
When I reference documents from Trumpf for SS the parameters seem totally different. Could anyone advise? Thanks.

Nozzle - 2.0mm Single Nozzle

Here are my cutting parameters.
Feed (80in/min)
Power (3500W)
Freq. (0)
Duty (0)
Gas (11Bar)
Stand Off (.04mm)
Focus(-.1in)

Piercing
Power (2800W)
Freq. (190Hz)
Duty (60%)
Gas (2bar)
Stand Off (.150mm)
Focus (-.040in)

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Your cutting speed seem very low; that might be the problem. Try like 240"/min (you should be able to cut even faster with that power).
Your gas pressure might be a little high as well; try like 7 bar.
Finally, if that doesn't help, play with the focus: hard burr, go lower. If it's small burr, go higher.

i run a domino too,i think you should try about -.09 focus 10-11 bar n2 the speed is quite normal i think.i am from sweden anyway

I agree with Foostrap, your feed rate seems extremely low for your power setting. The 2500 watt trumpf 1030 i run cuts 16 ga ss clean at 275 in/min and 10 bar, -2.3 mm focal point, 1 mm standoff. You should be able to get at least 325 - 350 in/min with your 3500 watts.

Also, why are your frequency and duty cycle 0 in your cutting parameters? They should be max or close to it for most materials, no?

Thank you all for your input. The duty and frequency were set by already loaded parameters so we took took these numbers and ran with them. Just now are we actually getting around to fine tuning. I have since played with the feed rate to 300 and getting excellent results. Ill update as I fine tune it more.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back