Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Prima Platino Output Coupler Issues

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chally72

Aerospace
Nov 22, 2010
US
Like clockwork, every 2 years or so the laser starts dropping cuts, we get a tech in, and the output coupler ends up being replaced. This is a late 90's Platino 3500 with very low beam-on hours (2300 total). I just shut it down again today because of increasing cut drops and suspect the same thing has happened. Changed lens....mirror chain is relatively clean...the symptoms are repeating themselves. What can cause this and are there any maintenance steps I can do to prevent it?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi Chris,

Unfortunately, the last one went out the door with the tech. This particular instance happened to be some sort of contamination with our UHP Nitrogen...I swapped tanks out and the laser is OK again, more or less. I am gradually having to add power into the parameters though, which makes me think an output coupler replacement is still not too far off. If it comes off again, I'll make sure I get it this time.

Thanks for the help.

Your total beam on time is extremely low for a 90s machine I assume with you knowing the beam on time this is a convergent cp laser. It's very difficult for me to guess anything without seeing it but with such a low used time I would like to guess you have a bad gas issue and it could be a simple reason of not using your machine enough. Or the other possibility is do you have the laser running all the time but not actually cutting all the time if this is so whether you are cutting or not the laser is still going through the same wear and tear as a laser cutting 12 hours a day. We are very experienced technicians at leaf and are able to service and get your machine back into production, yet for the age of machine we would still recommend some sort of a service twice a year

Rebecca Whish
LEAF Ltd

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back