Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Problem with Libreoffice Calc 1

dik

Structural
Apr 13, 2001
CA
This is an Excel workalike... When I copy and paste values for a new beam, it pastes the formulae values in the cells, rather than the formulae. It used to copy the formulae so it was just a matter of changing the beam size from the AISC spreadsheet.

I suspect I may have inadvertently changed a setting. Does anyone know hot to fix this. It used to work.

-----*****-----
So strange to see the singularity approaching while the entire planet is rapidly turning into a hellscape. -John Coates

-Dik

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thanks... I'll take a look. For my Vital Stats spreadsheet, I use paste special all the time. I may have accidentally set a switch or something.

-----*****-----
So strange to see the singularity approaching while the entire planet is rapidly turning into a hellscape. -John Coates

-Dik

dik said:
When I copy and paste values for a new beam, it pastes the formulae values in the cells, rather than the formulae.

That seems to be working as designed then. Paste values pastes values.

The default paste will paste the formula.

I'm not using Paste Special; I'm just using Paste.

-----*****-----

-Dik

See lots of bug posts in the LibreOffice bugzilla regarding this but nothing stands out as a cause:

here were the most common issues I found:
The sheet was not auto-calculating after the paste operations so it only looked like the value instead of the formula was pasted. Force a sheet re-calc with shift-ctrl-F9 or in the menu bar Data - Calculate - Recalculate

Don't use a 3rd party clipboard manager (think this is more applicable on the linux side)

Unsolved/Unknown reason for the behavior

Seems in all cases the recommendation ends up being to stop using ctrl-v when you want to paste formulas and instead do shift-ctrl-v for paste special and then choose formula only.

Thanks, gentlemen...

-----*****-----

-Dik

Back