Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem with NX7.5

Status
Not open for further replies.

ViniciusV

Mechanical
Apr 16, 2012
Hi,

I've attached the address to a movie on youtube in thread so you can take a look in what my problem is. In the video there are two parts, one of them is a simple disc, and the other is a part in which I just called it Rod. Im trying to draw the path in which a part of this Rod makes through the disc by simply rotanting them, each time that I rotate them I enter the disc part and create a interference body and after that I just subtract this new body created by the interference from the disc.

I did this to another part before, actually it was the Cam that moves that Rod, and I was able to finish it. Turns out that im not being successful this time. Im rotating the disc by 2 degrees and rotating the rod the ammount of degrees I calculated using a simple equation.

I've tried everything already, but it is always happening when I reach certain point, arround 30 rotations. What happens is that something I know what it is appears in the disc (it is shown in the movie) and then if I try to rotate any degrees all I get is that the body isnt interfering with the Rod or I just cant subtract the interference body from the disc.

All is shown in the movie.

I would like to understand what is happening and why im getting that error message.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

at 1.0 minute in the movie, it seems that you already have an interference solid when you create another, ( It's high speed in the video and therefore a bit difficult to follow the exact steps) Did that previous subtract do a "clean cut" or did it leave the what i described above ?
Regards,
Tomas

Thanks Tomas for your help, but I've checked the body and the first subtraction does the clear out. At 1.0 min I'm creating the second interference after rotating the two bodies.

Sorry for the high speed, I did that to achieve the lowest size possible and fair quality.

I don't think that is an interferece body, thats just the interference being shown, but I can only select it when I use the interference feature. Before it that is just the interference of the two bodies, not really a third body there.

The error message in the movie says "Target body completely inside tool body" which is nonsense based on the parts shown and your pick order. Try running examine geometry on the disc and interference body before doing the subtract. Analysis -> Examine Geometry: turn on all the body and face checks and rectangle select the disc and interference solid so that it picks up all the faces and edges along with the solid body.

www.nxjournaling.com

I'm still trying to figure out what could it be that it is making this happen. I came out with this possibility,could it be a memory issue? I mean, I did the steps shown in the video almost 30 times until that error message.

I really need some ideas of what that might be, and I could also use some advices of alternative methods to do that modeling.

Thanks.

Can you upload only the two bodies that fails the subtract operation ?
export them using the Parasolid format. You can also cut of the parts not visible in the video if you want to keep your secrets.
I would not guess that it's a memory issue, rather an issue of the model "balancing on the tolerance edge" of parasolids . I.e the faces are almost-almost-almost identical but still not.

Toost, I'll export them and post here, but I can forward that I thought about the possibility of being almost identical, the I just rotated the disc enough to be sure there was full interference, and still that error message appears.

What sometimes happens if I rotate the disc a higher degree is that I'm able to subtract the body created by the interference but then that thing that happens in the first subtration in the movie happens again and after it no matter how much I rotate the bodies, they just won't interefere with each other anymore according to the software. (only faces and Edges, even though I'm clearly rotating to a position with interference)

Well, after thinking a little I came out with a solution, I just don't know why it worked out this time but I thought of subtracting a random geometry body from the disc's center (I subtracted a quarter of a circle) and it turns out that it solved my problems and I was able to continue rotating and subtracting the interference bodies from the disc without any problem.

Although I still dont know what happend before, now I could finish this model and I want to thank all of the support and tips you gave trying to solve this issue.

Thanks,

Vinicius.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back