Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problem with the NX11.0 "variational sweep" function 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

zhenzhang

Mechanical
Oct 10, 2018
DE
Hello, I met a problem using this "variational sweep" function. I would really appreciate it if someone could help me.
I meant to generate a part under control of 4 SPlines and a round section. but finally the result is not what i want.
why did the generated part just follow one of the four contour lines?
3_yf0mmh.png
2_fjn9sv.png
1_dcwdht.png

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I do not know why the variational sweep didn't work as you expect.
But, Since you have these 4 splines, try apply a Trough Curves feature , tick the "Closed in V" option.
Should create the shape you expect. ( The circle is not used in this , only the 4 splines.)

Regards,
Tomas

@cowski
hmm..it's not a simple revolving body. it's a little bit curving. So the contour lines on XOY and XOZ coordinate planes are different.
anyway thanks for your advice.

@Toost
thanks for your remind. I think i know what's wrong. i have added four "point on line" restraints which are too much for a ciecle.
I'm gonna try the "closed in V". Thank you.

@Toost
1_mabav8.png

i have tried to do this "through curves" but still got something wrong. You may find the warning in this picture. Maybe the contour lines are too complicated to do this operation?

You have selected two separate curves as if they where the same section,
select 1, then click the "add new set" button, ( or shortcut : click the middle mouse button)
you need in this case select the four splines as four "sections".

NX will create the surface " from section 1 to section 2 to section n", and if you tick the "closed in V" it will close from section "n" to section 1.

Regards,
Tomas

@Toost thank you four your help
really appreciate it and your advice really works.
but i think i've a better way to solve this problem.
instead of using a circle as the section, two half ellipse(restraint to the four guidlines) would perfectly suit this case.
best regards

Why use the circle as the section in the first place? Use the splines as the sections and the circle (or arcs) as the guides and see what happens.

Tim Flater
NX Designer
NX 11.0.1.11 MP8
GM GPDL 11-A.3.3
Win7 Enterprise x64 SP1
Intel Core i7 2.5GHz 16GB RAM
4GB NVIDIA Quadro K3100M

If that not a thread shape
as I aee from the picture
then you can do a revolve
by adding 3 straight line
to one of the splines