Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problems with finding a small "high pressure", "Non plastic"

Status
Not open for further replies.

RENHELL

Mechanical
Nov 5, 2003
DK
I am currently involved in a project at DTU (poly tech Uni, Denmark) where i am in dire need for a small(physically) all metal pump, delivering pressures up to 100 Bar with no particular requirements regarding flowrate (very small).
The pump MUST be relatively free of Rubber/plastic componets (with the possible exeption of O-rings, interchangeble with compatible components) as the pumping media is DME (Diemethyl Ether) which WILL "eat" most poly components.

Currently i am in no luck finding commercially availible pumps, albreit this might be caused by me looking in the wrong places :)
So to my Q! Where could one be so inclined as to find the mentioned pumps? (appropriate search key words, would also be appreciated, as English is not my native language)

Yours Sincerely
Rasmus E Nielsen

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You should probably be looking for metering pumps which handle very low flows and high pressures. Reciprocating and diaphragm type metering pumps are mentioned in articles from Pump and Systems Magazine (Pumpzone or pump-zone?? on internet) whose December 1997 User's Guide for Special Purpose Pumps lists several manufacturers of metering, reciprocating, controlled volume pumps with pressure ratings of 1000 to 3000 psig including Crane Co.Chempump, Hydroflo Div. Penn Process, Jaeco-Stewart, Neptune Chemical Pump Co. and others in the USA. You'll have to ask manufacturers about non-plastic, non-elastomer features.

Is steady state flow or pressure required or can pulsations be tolerated? and How large is the Flow Capacity required?

There are Magentically Coupled hydraulic pumps for low flows...That eliminates much of the need for lubricity and rotary seal materials, and they will develop 100 bar or more.

There are a variety of Diaphragm, Bellows, Piston, peristaltic and similar pumps that don't have seals in the normal sense. All will involve some pulsation in the flow, which can be addressed but may not be entirely practical.

Displacement Solenoids and Fuel Injectors are are both approaches, though they also are inherently pulsating.

Pulsation is not a consern..
We are currently building our own two stroke diesel engine for entering in the Shell Eco marathon. The sought pump is intended to pressurize the "secondary" fuel system(the circuit just behind the solenoid injector nozzle) and with a relieve valve controled "bypass" return line to the tank.
The flow requirements for the main nozzle is just 200cc/hr so if the pump just superseeds that, we are in the clear.

R

Renhell, I don't know how small is the pump that you are looking for but try Danfoss Axial Piston Pumps type at the following link They make APP pump in small capacities in duplexx SS.I use them as HP pumps for small seawater desalination systems.

Bosch's fuel pump provides 26,000 psi of pressure !! and most likely very small flow.

I'm also interested in miniature hydraulic pumps. One from hydroleduc is really cool (about 150g weight and about 30mm diameter for the PR20) but I heard is quite pricy (around $2000 ??). Any hint for similar products would be great!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back