Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Problems with GTAC Support

Status
Not open for further replies.

thom9446

Mechanical
May 12, 2009
US
I recently made some complaints about GTAC and some that heard were quite suprised that I had issues. They said that they had only heard glowing reviews. So I want to know, does anyone else have issues with GTAC?

Here's one problem I have to get some ideas going. I hate when GTAC codes things as "Working as Designed". Yes I understand if I'm trying to use the sweep command to put in a threaded hole, there is nothing wrong with sweep and it is working as designed. But they seem to throw that out anytime they don't agree with your request. I feel like saying, "I know it's working as designed. That's why I'm calling. I don't like your design!"

So does anyone else have similar headaches? I'd love to hear about them.

Mike Thompson
Mechanical Engineer

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Have you ever thought of asking GTAC to convert your issue into an ER (Enhancement Request)? Also I would be a little careful about exactly who you blame for telling you that something 'works as designed'. Often that is what GTAC has been told to say by development after they've passed your issue up to them for their opinion and feedback (for the record, I work in the Development organization).

My advice to you is this, if the feedback you get is that something is 'working as designed' and you still feel that that was not an appropriate resolution to your issue, then there are two things that you can do.

Now it IS possible that you are attempting to use one function to accomplish something for which there is a more suitable function that may work better for you (it's amazing how often the real problem is so-called 'software abuse' ;-). What I would do is ask the GTAC person that you're dealing with to suggest that if this function is doing what it's supposed to do and yet you are still unable to accomplish your task, that perhaps they could suggest an alternative workflow. If what they suggest is still not suitable and you still feel that the original functionality SHOULD have covered your situation, then DEMAND that this issue be converted to an ER, which will then take it out of the hands of GTAC and transfer it directly to the responsibility of the Development organization where it will be reviewed by the appropriate Product Manager, who is ultimately responsible for the enhancements and projects which will be done for each release of NX. If your argument is legitimate and a case can be made for making changes to provide the additional capability needed, that will be taken into consideration when resources are allocated for future development projects. That's how the process works.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Design Solutions
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

I created an account just to reply to this post.

I have been using NX since NX5 was released, and find GTAC to be invaluable. I would say over 95% of the time I am satisfied with their assistance, be it an answer to a question, a solution/workaround for a bug, or issuing ER's and PR's. With the exception of ER's and PR's my problem is usually resolved in one phone conversation, or within a few hours at worst. I have also learned a lot from the guys at GTAC about the software that was never shown to me in any Siemens class.

I am able to use the software better and more efficiently thanks to the assistance of the people at GTAC. Not that they are able to fix every problem, but in my opinion they do an incredible job!

GTAC fanboy:
MattG

I have to jump on the band wagon here. I have always had great help from GTAC I may not always agree with the statement "working as designed" But I also realize that the poor guy that answers my call is not the one who designed the software. Many times the GTAC people have gone above and beyond to help me solve a problem, and this was when I work for a company that competed against them in the training area. If you have a problem with the way the software is written then put in an ER or get involved with PLM World but don't take it out on the people at GTAC. I am sure they get enough abuse and don’t need any more. IMHO

John Joyce
N.C. Programming Supervisor
Barnes Aerospace, Windsor CT

Yeah, we've logged probably a hundred calls or more with GTAC and in the cases where there really was a bug, they usually get things fixed very quickly. It's really nice to have such a direct (feeling, at least) connection to the software developers, and to see things really improve in a responsive manner.

While I haven't had much contact with GTAC in the past 5 years, I still have nothing but praise for the those people who answer the calls. I have been using UG/NX since 1987, UG2 v3. There are some in GTAC who were fellow customers at that time and have moved into GTAC to support the software. Most of GTAC people are very knowledgeble in their area of expertise and other aspects of the software that interact with their own area.

I found that when I was heavily involved with GTAC on issues, they will go out of their way to provide the information that you need. In some cases, I was given white papers on future projects to review to see if what they were planning would satisfy what I had concerns with.

There are always cases where 'worked as designed' was the answer because engineers will try things that software development didn't think of. But in the end, GTAC will try thei hardest to support their customers and make NX work for you.

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."

Ben Loosli

Well I guess I'm not getting the response I expected. Thanks everyone for your comments. We've been using UG for over ten years and it seems like lately it's a fight to get anything going. I've never had a problem with any individual at GTAC, just some of the ways they do things there. Maybe there's just a red flag by our company name because they know we're difficult.

Mike Thompson
Mechanical Engineer

Mike,
I want to emphasise that GTAC is the messenger when it comes to a response like "works as designed". They represent you to us in product management and development, and we provide them with the responses to ERs and PRs. If they don't agree, we work with them to understand what YOU are trying to do. Trust me - they want you to be successful, and they let us know it.

As said before, if the system is working as designed, but not as you expect, please get an ER in the system so that we know about it, and work with the product managers to be sure we understand your requirements.

Mark Rief
Product Manager
Siemens PLM

Thanks Mark,

Yes, I understand what you're saying. I have had great interaction with individuals at GTAC and understand that many times they are just the messengers from development. I've had concerns lately with the whole development process at Siemens and so wanted to see what issues others had, starting with GTAC. The conversations I'm having currently with Siemens personnel go far beyond GTAC and into their entire philosophy of quality. I just wanted to get an idea for how others feel about this part of the process.

I do plan on asking that this be made into an ER. This is about the fourth time this has happened at our company this month and so I'm just getting a little frustrated that it has been taking so much effort on our part to have our problems heard. Things get coded as working as designed that should be coded as ER's and the issues that do make it to PR status get coded as priority 2 or 3 when we've made it very clear that it's a big issue for us. Yes, I can call and ask that it be changed, but my wish is that I didn't have to spend so much time following up to make sure Siemens fixes its problems. I have plenty on my plate as it is, I shouldn't have to spend 3-4 hours a week sending emails and calling GTAC to make sure our needs are being met.

Mike Thompson
Mechanical Engineer

GTAC is one of the best things about using UG. You dial the number, the phone rings, someone answers, you ask, they answer to the best of their ability. Try that with Catia HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH. I have been working with various CAD systems since '88 and GTAC has performed with the best of them.

I probably use GTAC in a manner that GTAC would rather I not. I use it when I am looking for a specific function, as soon as the tech starts down the work around path I usually stop them. I have found that I can come up with as good a work around as anyone and that is fine with me. I have found that humans are much better at interpreting my function query.

I also occasionally have them help out with a corrupt or otherwise damaged part.

I have encountered the "working as designed" stone wall on rare occasions. The most aggravating one is when trying to draw in an expanded view, the system not only allows the user to access the third dimension (questionable utility) but insanely REQUIRES that the user make consideration of the third dimension when trying to make an offset line. this functionality may have had some utility back in the stick and sheet days, but they are far behind us now. Drawings are 2D modeling is 3D! Sorry had to rant!

A note to edgray, starting with NX 6.0, you are now able to Sketch directly in a Drawing view without having to 'expand' it first. It therefore retains its 2D behavior at all times.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Design Solutions
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA

One only has to work on another cadcam system for just a short while to really appreciate GTAC. Second to none, especially for us cam guys.

--
Bill

Although I've had a ton of excellent interactions with GTAC over the years, I can still understand the original poster's frustration.

Currently, I have an issue that has been deemed "working as intended" that I put together a powerpoint presentation showing the cost a default setting in CAM costs our company. This issue has been around at least since V15, and I can't even get a customer default box to edit.

I talk praise on your software to anyone who will listen to me, and even helped convert one of our facilities to NX. It's just this one issue is a sore spot for me. I can't see how gouging a part with default settings can be the dev's intent.

Ron Dawson
Manufacturing Engineer
Ducommun AeroStructures-Parsons

Have you ever spoken with a fellow named Mark Rief? He's works with development in the manufacturing group. From seeing how he spells his name above, you should be able to work out what his email address is so send him a note and see if perhaps you can get some help from him. Note that Mark's actually in a position to see to it that changes get made to the CAM software, if you can convince him of the merits of what you're asking for.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Design Solutions
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA

One of the first times I contacted GTAC was about an issue with part/assy navigator windows roaming around my screen on thier own. As soon as I said I have dual monitors the rep clammed up and refused to talk about the problem any more, citing that dual monitors are not supported! My jaw still drops when I think about that, I've never recovered. I insisted that an ER be created, after all, who uses a single monitor anymore?

Other issues have been handled quite effectively, though, so overall I cant complain.

NX 7.5.0.32 MoldWizard

Dual monitor support could use some improvements. For example (NX6) if your NX window is on your secondary display and you try to export a .jpg all you end up with is an 'operation failed' message.

Any improvements in this area in NX7 and beyond?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back