Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

ProE Files Read in SW?

Status
Not open for further replies.

3dlogix

Mechanical
Jan 31, 2002
CA
Hello,

Does anybody have a link that tells the story of how ProE files (before V2000i) were readable in SW, but not anymore. They are encrypted, but readable with a third party software.

Your insights would be much appreciated!!

Steve

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

PTC changed their code in 2000i. The way it was explained to me (correct me if I'm wrong) is the older code was "cracked" and then utilized to provide the Pro/E->SWX add-in.
The third party vendors that are able to read 2000i and above are usually just viewers and I think are charged a fee by PTC to do so. PTC (up until Wildfire) has been very protective of their code and I think they are the large factor in SWX not being able to obtain the new code for their use.
Let's hope PTC & Wildfire change things and this function returns to SWX.

Again - This is the way it was explained to me.

Hi

I have Exported Pro E files (ProE 2000i2) into IGES format and then Imported it back into Solid Words 2001 succesfully although Assemblies are a bit odd.

I have found that if you import a component into Solidworks in this way it will find all the cuts and extrudes etc that were used in modelling it in Pro E. It doesn't work the other way round though.

Hello all,

Just a few comments and additional information:

1) SolidWorks 2003 SP0.0 can not open Pro/E version 21 (2000i) files. SolidWorks might add this functionality in an upcoming Service Pack

2) Note that assembly features are not supported, this may explain why Scoobystu reported some problems with assemblies

3) I would recommend obtaining STEP files from Pro/E version 21 as a work around, STEP is more robust than IGES

4) SolidWorks can not open Pro/E drawings

5) Of course you need to activate an add-in to open or save as Pro/E

To activate the Pro/ENGINEER translators:

Click Tools, Add-Ins.

Select one or both of the following add-ins:

Sldtrans 1.0 - To import Pro/ENGINEER files into SolidWorks

SolidWorks Pro/E - To export SolidWorks documents as Pro/ENGINEER files

Click OK.

hope this helps,

Joseph

I have been searching for months and still have not found a way to open Pro E drawing files (unless the person sending you the drawing files is willing to change a few of their settings). I receive Pro E files everyday from various customers. Because SW2003 is still pre release this is my work around. Go to and get the free download of ProDesktop Express. Open your Pro E file in ProDesktop and save it out as a stp or iges. Now open it in Solidworks. I started a similar thread on this before when I was trying to find a viewer to open Proe drawings...I still haven't found a solution and I'm thinking we're just going to have to buy a seat of Pro (eeek, that's exactly what ptc wants to happen,that's why they're such a pain!!) There are a few viewers out there for around $1,000 that you can buy to open Pro E drawings but you need to have the person sending the files to you have a few options set in their Pro E.

I played around with ProDesktop Express and in my opinion, it's JUNK. It might a good way to generate an importable file, like bcolley is doing, but that's about it.

For Pro/E assemblies, I've found that using STEP works pretty good. The imported STEP file will create the assembled file as well as the components. One issue with this, though, is if a component is used more that once, SolidWorks will create a seperate file for each.

My apologies, I don't think I was very clear in my previous posting.

SolidWorks cannot open Pro/E drawings (2D drawings) it can open Pro/E parts and assemblies (except version 21, but this functionality will appear in a Service Pack for SolidWorks 2003).

cheers,

Joseph

I am running SolidWorks 2003 SP 0. I tried to open a Pro-E drawing and SolidWorks would not open the drawing. Our SolidWorks tech support said reading Pro-E files was removed in SolidWorks 2003 SP 0. He thinks it might get back in at the next service pack. Bradley

Hmmm, my SWx tech support people have been trying to help me find a way to open Pro E drawing files for months now. They have been playing around with 2003 for some time now (beta versions etc.) and they never said that Solidworks even tried to have opening the drawing files as an option. They had not heard the rumor that it was going to be fit in in a service pack. I sure hope that it does happen. I am running the pre-release of 2003 along with 2001plus. I am just playing around in 2003 and liking it. I've been opening lots of Pro parts and assemblies to test how it works.
On an unrelated note, has anyone played with importing cadkey parts into 2003???
-Brooke

bcolley,
Your right, I called a different tech support company and they say “No way”. Not in the Beta version and not in SolidWorks 2003 SP 0. They are not planning do so in the future. Bradley

Your right Bradley, SolidWorks has no intention right now of opening Pro/E 2D drawings.
SW2003 PreRelease2 did have the ability to open a Pro/E 2000i and i2 part files! SolidWorks removed the decrypting function in SW2003 SP0.

It will be back in a service pack, but who knows when that will be.

As for CADKEY parts, I opened a 5MB CADKEY .prt file in SW2003, and it made all the piece parts and built the 450 piece assembly. Worked great for me!

The old way of drawing in CAD here is wireframe in cadkey. We run unfold and it creates a flat layer and thickness layer. I can open a cadkey file in solidworks but I'm not sure if they geometry is of any use. Any ideas? I could forward one of my cadkey files if anyone is willing to help me. We have folders of part files and it would be helpful in my arguement to get rid of cadkey and move on to solidworks.

Just to make it clear/clearer...

SW 2001+ "could" open some Pro/E files.

SW 2003 can NOT open the Pro/E files.

SW will in a future service pack ONLY if they "break the code", or PTC lets them. I don't think PTC will just let them. If there are $$ involved, they will listen. They are cut throat bastards. Since I used to work for them, I can say that. But then again, aren't all of them, including number one on the list, AutoDesk?

If your VAR says they will be able to open Pro/E files shortly, he must either be dreaming, or he has friends in high places. Most VARs I meet in my time, don't have friends unless those friends are gonna buy some (or some more) software/hardware/services.

Sorry to blast the VARs. It is just my opinion. I used to be one, and that attitude made me want to get out.
Mr. Pickles

detroitpickles-
In the pre release of 2003 it could open pro e files, they pulled it for sp 0.0 b/c of a few bugs and are planning on putting it back.
I still have 2003 pre release on my system and CAN open pro e files with it.

bcolley,

Your right. But I thought they wanted Pro/E Version 21 files opened. I heard elsewhere that PTC changed the file structure of the v21 files and wasn't gonna let it out, without some dollars.

Perhaps this info was wrong. We can hope. Can Pro/E open SW files? I haven't used Pro since v19....

Mr. Pickles

We quit using PT/Modeler when PTC made PT/Modeler obsolete. The cost to upgrade was big bucks. The problem we have now is that we have 100’s of old drawings created by PTC’s PT/Modeler program. At the time there was no way of converting PT/Modeler drawings to SolidWorks drawings. We heard that the STEP conversion tool would translate the drawings. Now we are starting to look at a way to get these drawings into an electronic version. Bradley

According to the lastest information, AutoView is able to view models and drawings from Pro/E. I own an older version of AutoView proefessional which does not support SolidWorks or Pro/E (anything 3D), and it was great for conversions. I will probably need to upgrade

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back