Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Proe metric units

Status
Not open for further replies.

josson

Mechanical
Dec 9, 2004
US
Two questions

1. Recently upgraded from wildfire 1.0 to 2.0. Looking at the metric unit systems available in 2.0 (CPS, MKS, mmNS & mmKS) it seems to me that mmKS is new to 2.0. Can anyone confirm??? I know longer have acess to 1.0.

2. With respect to the mmKS and mmNS systems does anyone know of any reasons for using one over the other??? The only one I can think of is that the mmKS gives mass in kg as opposed to the mmNS in metric tonnes.

thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

mm-kg-sec has always been available.

One reason for using one or the other depends on what information you would like to get out of mass property analysis.

If you use mm-kg-sec, the mass properties analysis returns the part's mass, where as in the mm-N-sec unit system you will get the part's weight. Make sure your units are correct when inputting the density.

You can define any unit of mass (lbm, kg, slugs,etc) or force (lbf, N, dyne, etc) which matches your application.

is a good resource on the different units of measurement.

----------
"By all means, do not use a hammer." (1925 IBM Maintenance Manual)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back