Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

program to make a wiring Diagram

Status
Not open for further replies.

bahmili

Electrical
Dec 7, 2002
Hi Guys,
Could someone tell me what is the best application program to make a wiring Diagram...
I usually use Autcad.
Thanks for responding.
Ben

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi Keith. Are there any add-in programs to keep track of subscripts and labels or do you still do that manually like the old days on the drafting board.
What I mean;-
When I do a ladder diagram, I put a subscript under each set of contacts to indicate the line they are controlled from. To the right of each relay coil I put a series of numbers indicating each line controlled by by that coil. Each line is numbered and the line number forms part of each wire number.
For instance the first wire in line 23 will be 231, the next wire will be 232, etc. It takes a little longer to draw, but you get the time back the first time you have to trouble shoot.
Bear in mind that when a plant goes down the cost per minute of down time may be much more than the cost per hour spent on the drawing.
Is there anything out there to automate the numbering?

Bill
--------------------
"Why not the best?"
Jimmy Carter

Hey Bill.

I like your scheme. It's nice.

In my case I rarely do ladder diagrams. Most my stuff is pure schematics, gates, transistors, processors, etc. Jobs that have some ladder stuff are usually small enough that I can fit them on to two B size drawings that don't take a lot deciphering.

If I get into a bunch of laddering it's because I'm messing with a PLC. Then the PLC program prints it all out in some cryptic but hopefully functional format.

As for general stuff I believe Viso is often used as it has some nice abilities and you can buy symbol kits.

Used to be lots of add on packages available for Autocad that could do all sorts of this stuff. Then the the current psycho took over as the CEO and Autodesk started screwing their value added people left and right. I know several who threw in the towels. Not sure if an automation package for 'wiring' exists now.

Keith Cress
kcress -

There is an electrical add-on package for Autocad that was well suited to do ladder logic like you describe. Or, at least there was one a year ago or so.

What type of electrical diagram? What "intelligence" do you require, i.e. simulation, connection snap-to's, net naming, etc.?

I used the add-on package for AutoCAD. Its called AutoCAD Electrical. It worked really good for ladder diagrams, and you could also use it to generate a panel drawing if you wanted to. I assume it costs some $$$, but I wasn't paying the bills so I don't know.

Before we bought the AutoCAD package, we used Orcad for generating ladder diagrams. It does provide some smarts, but not as much as AutoCAD electrical.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back