Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Projecting a curve onto an unbended sheet metal part

Status
Not open for further replies.

AntoSilv

Mechanical
Feb 27, 2020
NL
Hello everyone,

I am currently trying to project a curve on an unbended metal sheet part. I am following the following steps:

1) Design the metal sheet using SB Contour flange
2) Unbend the geometry
3) Projecting the sketch on the unbended surface
4) Bending again

The problem is that I am not able to have the sketch following the bending path. I believe I understand why this approach doesn't work since for NX there is no previous position for the projected curve, nevertheless, I cannot find a proper way of solving this problem.

Please check the attached image for easy understanding of what I am trying to do.

Thank you for your time in advance.

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=3fd888d8-8ebb-4299-a9c5-46d8423b3d50&file=Bending.png
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi.
In this case I Will suggest simple divide the face straight aften placing Your sketch....
Use sketch Curves AS argument when applying divide feature on surface....

Hi Iklo,

Thank you for your feedback.
If I understood correctly your instructions, I still cannot rebend the face after dividing it on the flat surface using the curves:

Error_nc8otg.png

Hi @AntoSilv

What is your end goal, why do you need the curve on the bent part? I ask becuase NX Sheet Metal supports additional curves on Unbend but not on Rebend.

If you need the curve for a cutout, then use Normal cutout on the flat form and rebend will transition the cutout.

Dave

Hi @deedub777,

Thank you for your feedback.
This section is not for a cutout but to introduce some boundary conditions while doing FEM analysis to the component.

BR,
Anton

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back