Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Propeller Design

Status
Not open for further replies.

PBe

Mechanical
Mar 2, 2001
SE
Hi all,
can any of you out there give me a tip to find a source regarding propeller calc/design? Will try to manufacture a propeller for a mixer.

:)PBe

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Can you be more specific with regard to the mixer size and what it is trying to accomplish? Marine propellers are used mainly on very small mixers, and must be spun at relatively high speeds. By &quot;small&quot;, I mean generally impellers <12&quot; diameter. If used for large mixers, the high speed requirement and high impeller weight would lead to a very expensive mixer design.

For &quot;large&quot; (12&quot;<D_impeller<120&quot;) industrial mixers, simpler geometry such as a 45° pitched blade turbine are often used. They will pump large quantities at lower speeds than a marine prop, and have the benefit of a moderate amount of shear, but at lower efficiency. Running at a lower speed simplifies shaft design and vibration problems. There are also other axial impellers that are called hydrofoils, but are in reality bent plates that very roughly approximate a hydrofoil shape. They are more efficient than a pitched blade turbine, but have lower shear. Depending upon the application, the compromise between high shear with low efficiency and low shear with high efficiency must be made.

butelja, the only input I have for the mixer is an AC motor running at 1400 r/m and 5.5kW. I guess it will be more easy to manufacture an impeller with turbine blade design compare to an axial impeller.
I thank you all for your response at my question.
:) PBe

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back