Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Protections for a 5 HP Induction Generator

Status
Not open for further replies.

zkz

Electrical
Jul 3, 2008
IN
Hello,
One small power producer wishes to connect his 5 HP induction generator to Kerala State Electricity Board's grid to supply power. What are the protections to be provided to the generator and to the turbine? What are the other protections to be provided to isolate generator from grid when generator fails to supply power to grid? Can anybody provide some references in connection with this issue?
Thanks in advance,
regards,
zkz

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I would recommend starting with the IEEE Std. 1547 - IEEE Standard for Interconnecting Distributed Resources with Electric Power Systems. Also see 1547.2 that is an applications guide.

Also, do what busbar recommended to see if there are any specific requirements that they have.

Hello,
Sorry for replying as I was out of station.
Actually, I am from Kerala State Electricity Board's side. So I have to propose the protections which are to be installed before connecting to KSEB's grid.
KSEB is new in this. We have no previous experience.
Regards,
zkz

Google "Interconnection requirements". Others have done it, you just have to see what specifics you have at your end and start from those scenarios.

Hello all,
Thanks for the replies. Let me go through the directions you pointed out. I shall comment after that if necessary.

Attention Edison123:
This small unit is supposed to connect to LT supply, i.e., 415V supply. Presently we are not having any unit working in that supply.
regards,
zkz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back