Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Protective Relay Test Set/Equipment 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

JBlackEE

Electrical
Jul 11, 2008
US
I am looking into relay test equipment currently. Does anyone have any advise? I have looked at Omicron and Megger some. I really don't know where to start. What other manufacturers are good? I am looking at testing overcurrent, differential and distance relays (SEL) in substation and transmission stations.

Preferred manufacturer? Likes/dislikes of certain models? Features you really like? I don't want to lug around a bunch of boxes, but I also don't want a suitcase that I need a truck to haul. I'm early enough in my search I can still be that picky... :)

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Regarding testing the complete protection system, one can say that primary tests should be required on new installations.
We had an interesting problem, in a hydro upgrade, found out only in primary tests using as source, currenr from each 175MW hydro unit for confirming generator and transformer protections with short circuits placed at the 15KV and 500KV levels: The problem was that the ABB GPU and TPU digital relays used in the new upgrade would not operate on current only. For the relays to operate, PT voltage had to be present also, therefore PT voltage had to be injected from a secondary test set (about 30% voltage) so that the relay logic would operate correctly.

It can be that later versions of these relays operate differently, or that digital relays from other suppliers also operate differently.

Has anyone else had this experience with digital relays?

BTW I do not mean the aux supply was from the PTs. that was in fact, as usual standard in power installations, from the station battery.

rasevskii

I have recently been using Relay Engineering Services APTS 3ph test set and am very happy with the usability and interfaces. The sets do however need a laptop to drive them.

rasevskii said:
For the relays to operate, PT voltage had to be present also, therefore PT voltage had to be injected from a secondary test
What sorts of protection functions don't work with no PT input?

I'd expect problems with impedance relaying functions, as both current and voltage parameters are needed to do the math. Older relays did have problems with close-in faults that would pull line voltages down to zero. But my understanding of newer equipment is that it 'phase locks' an internal clock to the PT inputs and uses that value during a fault so as to have a voltage reference to work with for a few cycles. Of course, the s/w will have to see good PT inputs for some time before the fault so the clock has something to sync with.

But I'd expect plain old overcurrent functions to work with nothing more than CT inputs.

I can understand a generator relay not doing much with out a VT input as differential and neutral overcurrent are about the only generator protections that don't require voltage. But a transformer relay really shouldn't care about voltage.

My 50 cents about test sets:
We have FREJA 300 from about 6 years. As a hardware it is OK. The only problem we had was with 51N function test of one old electromechanical distance protection - power of the current output of FREJA was not sufficient. The only serious question is the software - it is not flexible enough and also communication with PC is sometimes not stable.
Speaking about 6 current outputs - new version FREJA306 has now 6x15 A outputs. Also Programma offers upgrade of FREJA 300 to 306.
We also have good experience with Omicron 256, with various kinds of software - starting from version 1.4 and up to 2.0. Unfortunately pricewise it is bit expensive for our company, so we use it mostly on projects where the main contractor (for us it is typically Siemens) deliver test set.
Good alternative at least here in Europe is ISA. Our colleagues use DRTS6 for last 5 years without any problems. But I don't know how ISA is presented in USA - with service and even with different power supply voltage.

If price is not the most important concern I would suggest Omicron CMC256 with IEC61850 option.

BTW, there are some very interesting Chinese units on the market recently. I am curious if somebody has practical experience with PONOVO test sets. They are packed with full ste of features like top models of CMC256 and 356, but it would be great if somebody here share his first had experience.

------------------------
It may be like this in theory and practice, but in real life it is completely different.
The favourite sentence of my army sergeant

for PHovnanian:
The protection concerned was the TPU transformer overcurrent and differential protection. It would not operate during primary tests involving overcurrent at normal service connection and differential on a simulated fault connection at primary level. PT voltage had to be injected as said at about 30% voltage. BUT this was all done more than 7 years ago and I would have to dig out the detailed Primary Test Program that I wrote at that time.

The secondary testing and calibration was done by the client previously using his own equipment and factory procedures, I do not know how current functions were tested at that time and if PT voltage had to be also injected. That was not my business at the time.

regards rasevskii

I use the Omicron 356 for testing sel relays and others. I really enjoy using this unit. It does take a little getting used to, but with 6 currents at 32 amps and 4 potentials available it handles most situations well. I do like the overcurrent module, for directional elements on the sel relays you need to set the fault voltage lower then the prefault voltage for proper negitive sequence voltage. This is the only test set I've used that can do this test properly.

plz check ISA DRTS-6+ Model test set

it is cheaper than omicron and very user friendly.
this test set comes with 6 current and 4 voltage o/p.

optional :-
MAKE : KINGSINE model :3065

315MVA, do you have practical experience with that Chinese test set? I am curious how reliable they are.

------------------------
It may be like this in theory and practice, but in real life it is completely different.
The favourite sentence of my army sergeant

HiJBlackEE

I have used the Omicron and Doble for many years whilst working at utilities. Omicron is certainly the better option in my opinion but is very pricey as is the Doble.

For myself, however, I have bought a much cheaper Chinese test set called the RT46 from Ponovo. Does an excellent job. Ponovo have later models now which include IEC61850 functionality as well. The literature is not too hot but the test set does everything I need it to do.

You can have a look at thier products:

Regards.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back