Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Prying Action 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

wale01

Structural
Feb 2, 2006
US
I have a situation where I have a typical beam that rests on top of a steel tube column. The column has a 1" plate and connects to the beam by 4 bolts (the old typical connection). I have a significant uplift on this connection. About 33 kips worth. I'm well aware the of the effects of the prying on the bolts. Is there any way I can avoid prying by increasing stiffness and lowering deformation? If so, how can this be determined? Also, do these bolts need to be pretensionsed or is snug tight sufficient? It will not be cyclic loading. Thanks for your help.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Wale- If this is a new conn that hasn't been fabricated yet, you can eliminate prying forces by adjusting the top plate thickness. Solve for "tc" per formula on AISC ninth ed page 4-90, setting B=(uplift tension force per bolt)=33k/4. Also, imho snug tight bolts are sufficient. Regards

In this case where the uplift appears to be coming from the beam which I assume is bolted through the flanges to the column cap plate, it is actually the beam flanges that are the controlling elements for prying action. Putting half-depth stiffeners on the lower half of the beam at the connection (web and flange welded) would most likely eliminate the prying action concern by stiffening the lower flanges against deforming.

Thanks for the help. That's exactly what I needed.

Willisv: I have full height stiffeners in the connection for what you just stated and for some other things I have going on. Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back