Status
Not open for further replies.

pb2102sm

Chemical
Sep 13, 2013
US
Hi all,

Can someone please clarify this:

I'm working on a project of sizing and documenting a set of PSV's for a client. I'm writing up the contingency analysis and I came across this piece of information that's a bit confusing to me.
My question is: Is the Resilient Seat Seal the same as Lead Seal? on the PSV specsheet from the manufacturer there is this component of the PSV parts list they call Lead Seal, I'm not sure if that's the same thing as Resilient Seat Seal. Any thoughts?

Thank you,

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I suspect it's either a seal to stop someone fiddling with the spring set points or a seal which breaks if the valve ever lifts.

Can you post a diagram?

Resilient seat seal means a resilient seal on the working seal, I.e. not metal to metal so only suitable for certain fluid and temperature

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

LittleInch got in one (or two).
The 'Lead Seal' is always affixed to the outside of a Pressure-relief Valve as a visible means to show if the valve have been tampered with ie., cap removed to alter the set pressure. It is normally done by the manufacture and/or the last person/company that tested the valve - it should be embossed with some ID supported by a test certificate - Some end users are steering away from lead but the term 'lead seal' is still used.

'Resilient Seat Seal' - Relates to the Pressure-relief Valves seat if fitted with an O-Ring (as opposed to a metal to metal seat).

*** Per ISO-4126, the generic term
'Safety Valve' is used regardless of application or design ***

*** 'Pressure-relief Valve' is the equivalent ASME/API term ***

That strange little grey thing hanging on the thin wire is the "Lead Seal"

0049968_suttner-st-230-safety-relief-valve-3600-psi-with-new-tamper-proof-cap_thoc6y.jpg

Thank you all for taking the time to reply to my question. LittleInch thanks for the image you posted, it really helped me to differentiate between the two.

No problem.

It's good to know we helped - so many posters just vanish and never let us know....

You often see a plastic tag nowadays doing the same thing - same sort of thing you often see on fire extinguishers to show that the pin has been pulled.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back