Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

PTC Prime (again) 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sparweb

Aerospace
May 21, 2003
CA
I was just given a quote for 2 floating licenses of PTC Prime 7 for 3575 CAD (2950 USD)
<Gulp>

For comparison, it's just 670 USD for a fixed install.
A complimentary install of MC15 is no longer in the bundle.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Sorry, I don't do graphs... just output numbers. I use the plotting for the programs for section shape welds and after a bit of 'screwin' around they functioned perfectly... just a matter of scale if the sections are large.

Rather than think climate change and the corona virus as science, think of it as the wrath of God. Feel any better?

-Dik

from upfrontezine...

"Maple Flow is a very recently released (2021) direct competitor to MathCAD from Canadian company MapleSoft. It appears to me to be aimed directly as a competitor to MathCAD, as it has a very similar interface and works in the same way.

Maple Flow seems to be priced at $2,390 for a single perpetual commercial license. Educational licenses are available. maplesoft.com/products/mapleflow"

Rather than think climate change and the corona virus as science, think of it as the wrath of God. Feel any better?

-Dik

Prime fixed a number of issues with MC's graphing (in)capabilities ;-) Near as I can tell, MC's graphing remained unchanged since before MC8.

I invariably use Excel for graphing anything I calculate in MC and need to present the data. If I were to use MCP, I'd likely do the same, since its basic XY graphing is still rudimentary, compared to Excel's. Both MC and MCP's 3D graphs are actually superior to Excel's in being manipulatable in real time; I think Excel had that capability eons ago, but lost it somewhere along the line.

TTFN (ta ta for now)
I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert! faq731-376 forum1529 Entire Forum list

dik said:
Maple Flow seems to be priced at $2,390 for a single perpetual commercial license.

How much is MathCad?

IRstuff said:
Both MC and MCP's 3D graphs are actually superior to Excel's in being manipulatable in real time; I think Excel had that capability eons ago, but lost it somewhere along the line.

What sort of manipulation in real time are you talking about? I'm not aware of any lost graphing capabilities in Excel (not that I'm an expert in Excel 3D graphs; I hardly ever use them).

Doug Jenkins
Interactive Design Services

See sparweb's initial post at the top of this thread... I don't know what he was purchasing.

-Dik

Far cry from when it was $99 list price ;-)

One option we've been exploring is buying fixed licenses, and then remote logons to use the programs. We've got the same issue with another software program that likewise has a huge jump in cost for floating license. At least, you still have the option of a perpetual install, for now.

TTFN (ta ta for now)
I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert! faq731-376 forum1529 Entire Forum list

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back